• Later today, the site will be offline for essential server upgrades. This upgrade should run without any problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Tattoo Stencil Printer

learner

Basic
First Name
Was thinking of buying a normal color printer for printing word documents and pictures.

But got me thinking if there is a tattoo stencil printer that can do both things instead: print tattoo stencils and also work as a normal color printer etc? Not sure if it’s possible so thought I’ll ask here.

If so, please recommend me some brands and models. Thanks.

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
Most stencil printers are just normal thermal printers. Using thermal paper you can print what ever you want, but thermal paper has its drawbacks, price and durability.
Another option is to buy an inkjet printer and use a special stencil ink to directly print the stencil. I don't have any experiences with those but I do have a lot experiences with inkjet printers with "other" inks. Best printers are from Canon. These usually have no problems using non-original inks.
I have used the mayor brands of printers and all with the exception of canon failed sooner or later. HP being the worst. I now own three canon inkjets, they have yet to fail while exclusively using "compatible" inks. First one I bought 6 years ago from a German seller complete with compatible ink kit and seller guarantee it would work without problems, it did and still does.

btw. There's a lot of stencil ink available for Epson Ecotank printers. One problem though, you can't use the printer for normal printing once you've used the stencil ink.
You should also check out this thread Inkjet Stencils on the cheap

Last edited:

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
You'll never be able to use an ink printer for both purposes. The second you print regular ink through it you'll never get a good stencil again. "Inkjet stencils" sells kits for Brother and Epson. But, you buy that setup for the same price as an S8 and still have to refill with their ink all the time.

The problem with buying a regular thermal printer is that they have issues out of the box running our stencil papers because it's such a lightweight paper and actually uses a pigment sheet attached.

The S8 Stencil printers are a "re-branded" Brother PJ-7xx. I put re-branded in quotes because it's actually got updated firmware to handle our stencil papers. Besides, for the same prices as the Brother version, you get $100 worth of stencil supplies PLUS a power supply that you don't get when you buy the brother model. This printer you'd actually be able to run thermal paper through to print regular stuff, but a deskjet printer is cheap and EVERY printer is made to break (I've worked in IT on a college campus for 20 years - I've seen and replaced them all)

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
I still use a cheap laser mono printer and a cheap Chinese thermal printer.
Thermal printer or copier?
I tried sticking with copiers, but one came broken than another failed to come. I did the math, considered my space limitations, and went with the S8. But, I pretty much do all of my client work on my iPad anyway so it works well that way.

MirandM

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Miranda
I mis the old HP deskjet printers where the printhead was part of the cartridge. Those were excellent printers, if they got clogged up just change the cartridge and off you go again. Too bad their resolution was so far off of what today is "normal".

For the moment I'll stick with my pilot pen, bit more work but doesn't fail.

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Thermal printer or copier?
I tried sticking with copiers, but one came broken than another failed to come. I did the math, considered my space limitations, and went with the S8. But, I pretty much do all of my client work on my iPad anyway so it works well that way.
A copier / printer like this, it’s served me very well, just needs occasional stripping and cleaning

Attachments

• 49626305-90B8-4302-8295-B1253A0511CE.jpeg
    49626305-90B8-4302-8295-B1253A0511CE.jpeg
    123.3 KB · Views: 4

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
A copier / printer like this, it’s served me very well, just needs occasional stripping and cleaning
yeah, that's just a copier - no printing functions on those at all. That was another reason to justify the S8 for myself. No need to print it first in order to run it through the copier.

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
yeah, that's just a copier - no printing functions on those at all. That was another reason to justify the S8 for myself. No need to print it first in order to run it through the copier.
I had another one similar in design with a USB port for connecting to a pc for printing, at the end of the day they are just modified thermal fax machines, my daughter has recently purchased a Brother pocket jet wireless / blue tooth printer, I did have a Pentax pocket jet myself which attached to my lap top via a cable but I didn’t like that and got rid.

Remove Ads

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
I had another one similar in design with a USB port for connecting to a pc for printing, at the end of the day they are just modified thermal fax machines, my daughter has recently purchased a Brother pocket jet wireless / blue tooth printer, I did have a Pentax pocket jet myself which attached to my lap top via a cable but I didn’t like that and got rid.
They should go back to that. I always wonder how many people buy them now thinking they're actually getting a printer.

Paul Talbot has a lot of videos on how to make the stock Brother Pocket Jet work well with stencil papers. I never had any experience with the Pentax versions but I hear they were quite the crap shoot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.