P Tattooing Trouble

fergalfitzp

Premium
First Name
Fergal Fitzpatrick
Hi all.
I wonder can anyone offer any advice.
I was tattooing a friends back last night using a 7mag and some light grey ink.
The needles seemed to be putting in very little ink but cutting into the skin causing bleeding. The weird thing is, I used the same set up on the same guy the week previous and there was little bleeding and a good ink flow. My depth is normally quite consistant also. I changed the mag to a 9shader and it was somewhat better but the inkflow was still pretty crap. I slowed right down and got the tattooed finished ok but it was not as 'smooth' a process as the week previous.

Any advice would be great.
I am using a Stealth rotary btw and a LWDQGS DC power supply.

Thanks

FF

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
If the client is nervous or has been drinking alchohol the night before,this can cause more bleeding,as can tattooing over depth,if the client tends to bleed a lot,this pushes the ink back out of the skin,making it very hard to get the colour in...also if the client sweats a lot,this will have the same effect...make sure you use vasaline on the area you are tattooing,this helps to block the pores,& keep the colour in...hope this helps...

marked 4 life

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Andy
Some good points above, also if you are grey shading it doesnt look as if its going in as the skin will appear red or brown so if you bang more in then it still wont go in darker just cause skin trauma and make the skin bleed some more.

I once used MOMs grey on my thigh and that didnt look as if it went in so I overworked it and made it very sore afterwards.

Were you grey shading, if so what ratio ink to distilled water or witchhazel did you use?

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
With you saying a "light grey" ink, i would say that was a light grey colour, and not a wash. You may not see the ink until it heals, as with yellows and light pinks etc. If it bleeds and the ink doesnt look as though its in, stop anyway. It probably is, but if not, you wont gain anything by carrying on. I tried rotarys a while back, and they just seem to harsh for colouring to me. :icon_mad:

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
I agree with the rotaries being harsh for colour, but the same thing happened to me and it turned out the person had been for a drink to calm his nerves and thats what it sounds like to me.

regards
Tony

fergalfitzp

Premium
First Name
Fergal Fitzpatrick
Thanks everyone for the replies. I actually asked my client at the time had he been drinking the night before or was he taking any prescription drugs or things that might thin his blood, he said he had not been.
Perhaps I was going to deep or may have had the needles to far past the tip. I thought I may be running the machine to hard for shading either. It was a bit frustrating. Even using the black, the 'flow' was not great.

FF