Tattooing Without Using a Liner.

Kaz

Karen
Premium
First Name
Karen
Although I appreciate all forms of Tattoo, I am very much drawn to tattoos that have no outline atall. Or at least very little. When working with pencil, I have never worked from an outline drawing so maybe that's why. What are everyones views on this type of work? Do these Tattoos have a short "shelf life"? And does it only really work on certain designs.

Remove Ads

j3rz3y1

Premium
Media
First Name
Frank
outlines

I have done work with samme color outlines befor,they turn out very well but its what the custemer prefers an i fine most want the Black outlines LOL .:thumbsup: ED:cool:

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hi Kaz,

I have a similar view - I love tattoos that look like art works, and have always drawn and painted 'things' without a black line around them....

You can now get coloured lining inks - and I'm sure there's a thread/post on here somewhere with a recommendation (will try find it n let you know).

Apparently the lining ink has a different consistency/higher pigment content to the colouring inks - and it seems ink 'bleeding' can occur without such an outline (? -- at least from the research I have done - have to say, no practical experience of this), and also I'm led to believe that without the definition, the tats appear faded quicker ( tho' prob no difference with outlined tats - just the black appears to stay put)

I am thinking of investing in some coloured outlining inks to allow me to work this way - obviously just using an outline colour close to the subject...

That said, when people are chosing their tattoos, most seem to want black outlines - although admittedly my 'live' experience so far is very limited to just a couple of the family and friends!

Keep me posted if you gain any better/more info:thumbsup:

Sl1pperyweasel

Get more ink..
Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Graham
To save on using any ink for an outline you could "bloodline" the work, basically just outline without ink which marks the skin but heals with no visible lines.

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
To save on using any ink for an outline you could "bloodline" the work, basically just outline without ink which marks the skin but heals with no visible lines.

Hey sl1p,
don't know if you have tried bloodlining,but instead of putting in ink,you use distilled water.

Kaz

Karen
Premium
First Name
Karen
Thanks all. I'm very interested in trying out the non lining techniques. Am I correct in thinking that the blood lining commands a good deal of ability?
Currently I'm only practicing on fake skin. I see here that alot of you use real pig skin. Is there a stockist you can recommend?

Sl1pperyweasel

Get more ink..
Premium Plus
Media
First Name
Graham
Get yourself down to Morrisons. It will either be packed in the meat section or just speak to the butcher & ask for "Pork Rind". You usually get 3 rolls for abt 57p. I cleaned out my local yesterday :)

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Thanks all. I'm very interested in trying out the non lining techniques. Am I correct in thinking that the blood lining commands a good deal of ability?
Currently I'm only practicing on fake skin. I see here that alot of you use real pig skin. Is there a stockist you can recommend?
Hi Karen,
bloodlining is not hard to do,just use distilled water instead of ink,same depth 2mm.
run the liner around the stencil where you want the lines & hey presto...done.(obviously this can only be done on real skin) when you clean it off you will be left with the outline in blood...when healed the lines will not show,hope this makes sense & helps.

Morpheus59

Tattoo Enthusiast
Premium
First Name
Randy Higgins
I have found that I can do some tattoos without any kind of outline besides the regular stencil, to get certain effects. I have never done a bloodline but I can see how it could be useful in some instances. Here is a tat I did for a girl I know without any kind of outline. She wanted something quite soft.
jenn001.jpg
This one as well, was pretty much just freehanded from a basic stencil without outlines
gull2.jpg