Jxsho

Premium
30 Jan 2021
Ohio
First Name
Josh
I taught myself how to tatto around a year ago and I was just wondering if my work is any good in someone elses perspective. When I first started I was using the dragon hawk mast and was tatting on my own legs and arm (in the pics) and around 6-7 months ago I upgraded to the cheyenne hawk thunder and started doing tatts on my close friends. I Just really wanna know if Im capable of gettin an apprenticeship if I continue to try and get better and what other people think of my work. Also would love to hear any advice or thoughts from you guys! Have lots more pics of my work

btw the pictures are taken from videos of the tattoos I did so some of them arent the best quality and some I couldnt get the best views of it, sorry wish itd let us upload videos!

667D392A-A8A7-4F32-899D-778B9FCE9401.png 2FD6CF21-83AD-4BC7-88B1-19B0ABBC03B9.png A279A561-859A-454E-8D7C-2DAB6BED0544.png E2D5CA8E-FABC-463B-8967-6175284008DA.png B161689D-770B-42BC-9FFD-FB9F8E8B64D6.png 9F0FE8B7-9ABE-4267-9C1D-FC5F195858B3.png

Cyberthrasher

Premium
23 Sep 2019
California
First Name
Allen
I Just really wanna know if Im capable of gettin an apprenticeship if I continue to try and get better and what other people think of my work.
If your goal is to get an apprenticeship then you should really be working on that and not just doing as much tattooing as you can. Most tattoo artists don't want you tattooing before you apprentice and will turn you down if they find that you are. They want to make sure THEY teach you everything and that they're not going to have to break you of bad habits that might be putting clients at risk. If an apprenticeship is what you really want, practice on fake skin at the most and spend your time building a portfolio of artwork to take around.

Jxsho

Premium
30 Jan 2021
Ohio
First Name
Josh
If your goal is to get an apprenticeship then you should really be working on that and not just doing as much tattooing as you can. Most tattoo artists don't want you tattooing before you apprentice and will turn you down if they find that you are. They want to make sure THEY teach you everything and that they're not going to have to break you of bad habits that might be putting clients at risk. If an apprenticeship is what you really want, practice on fake skin at the most and spend your time building a portfolio of artwork to take around.
Thanks for the reply, I honestly dont know if I want an apprenticeship or not I might just get my license and try to start up my own business, but Ive had a couple people tell me that before to stop tattooing, cause ill get into bad habits and its just hard cause I constantly have people asking me for tattoos. i have quite the portfolio already of all my drawings and stuff. So I guess what im really looking for is to see if anyone else thinks my works is good or at least decent?

Cyberthrasher

Premium
23 Sep 2019
California
First Name
Allen
So I guess what im really looking for is to see if anyone else thinks my works is good or at least decent?
Well, from what I can see from the pictures, your lining needs a lot of work. It appears to be all over the place in terms of depth and thickness. It's wobbly in a lot of locations and I see several blowouts without even being able to clearly see the images. Most of the black fill I see is pretty patchy and uneven and I can see some rake marks in some of the shading. I'd be interested to see if the art you did these from matches the tattoo. If the art is clean, then you have a lot of technical work to iron out. If the tattoo looks just like the art, then you're going to want to focus on cleaning up your designs quite a bit as well as addressing the technique issues.

Now the hard truth that I have to say in order to help you in the long run. Don't make the mistake of trying to go out on your own right now because your work is nowhere near good enough. If I went to you thinking I was going to get a good piece for some reason and came out with one of these I'd be pissed. I know you've got people coming to you because they think it's good work, but the public doesn't always know how to see past the tattoo's content and into the technique. People who have told you that you'll develop bad habits are absolutely correct and I'd be worried that you're already on that path. I don't want to shoot you down, but I don't want you to have a false sense of reality. Hopefully you don't take it hard since you came asking.

My advice aside from working on that portfolio and getting some in person help if you decide to go that way - step back from the skin for a while. Iron out your techniques on practice skin. Get your lines dead perfect and your color/shading nice and smooth. People are going to pay you for something that will last longer than them, so make sure you're able to do better than your best. If you really want it and really care about the industry, it's a small price to pay to step back and hone your skills a little more in one way or another before working on people.

DKJ

Premium
23 Oct 2017
Media
France
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
I won't be as definitive as Cybertrasher on a few points, but...

1/ I would advise you to first choose (as said) if you're gonna be self-taught or going through an apprenticeship.

A- Self-taught: Hang on these forums and ask questions, all the questions you have, over the things you want to get better at, and take yourself an harsher self-critic mind, because your tattoos are okay for a friendly public, but you can't open a shop off them. They're not shitty, but you need to progress a lot before you can be called a pro (cause in the end, you can't call yourself a pro, it's the job of your clients and the industry).

B- Apprenticeship: As said, stop the real skin, work the fake and pig skin to death, and build a portfolio. Find the correct shop owner for your style and yourself (don't choose someone only for one of those two aspects).

To me, you seem to have good points around tattoo design (good choices), but really you need to slow down on the multiple challenges offered by such choices. Your tattoos are big, full of details, and need a big batch of different techniques to be achieved.

That may be only my pov, but in the end only technique is needed if you're relying on client or bought designs. Creativity is only a plus, cause it doesn't live long without technique.

It's very good to see that you're motivated, but don't miss the point on your current goal, which is acquiring the technique (in any way that's available). Money, fame, fancy-ness will come off it! You're like us, in a 'one step at a time' situation. Accept it and you will roll as smooth as a pound of butter on a hot stove.

Peace,

DKJ

Jxsho

Premium
30 Jan 2021
Ohio
First Name
Josh
Thanks appreciate it, I definitely dont plan on opening a shop or anything anytime soon im talkin like 10+ years down the line lol I do appreciate all the advice tho gonna take it one step at a time like you said, only chose to do two big pieces on my leg just to see if I was capable of even doing something like that. I know im by far not any pro and dont even consider myself good lol. Im still basically brand new at tattooing and just wanted advice lol thanks for yours

Dzikichrzan

Premium
5 Sep 2018
Tunbridge Wells
First Name
Jakub
@dzikichrzan
Hello im not going to take as much space as the other two :) You clearly asked for my perspective so from where Im standing it looks 'poor' from lining to shading to placing this designs. Keep practicing man and good luck. And yes I think you are capable of getting apprenticeship once you get little bit better and really want this.

DKJ

Premium
23 Oct 2017
Media
France
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Thanks appreciate it, I definitely dont plan on opening a shop or anything anytime soon im talkin like 10+ years down the line lol I do appreciate all the advice tho gonna take it one step at a time like you said, only chose to do two big pieces on my leg just to see if I was capable of even doing something like that. I know im by far not any pro and dont even consider myself good lol. Im still basically brand new at tattooing and just wanted advice lol thanks for yours
That's fine, it looked like you were going to open this shop next week ;-)

If i were you, i wouldn't stop tattoing friends and family, but would def restart by doing smaller designs and trying to work on this or that technique. That's how we grow. For the moment, the friends i tattoed only paid around 20$ for the ink, needle and other consumable i use.

Peace,

DKJ

Jxsho

Premium
30 Jan 2021
Ohio
First Name
Josh
Thanks appreciate it, these are literally some of my first pieces i ever did on someone or myself, so I understand some are poor and Lmfaoooo noo Definitely not plannin on opening or starting anything anytime soon. The most ive charged someone for a tattoo so far is like 40$ Cause I like doing it more the practice and learning opportunities rather than the money. I just hope you guys understand that these are some of my first ever pieces of work. I dont have much haha

Dzikichrzan

Premium
5 Sep 2018
Tunbridge Wells
First Name
Jakub
@dzikichrzan
I do understand that and I think you should do smaller ones to master the thing. These designs are just to much to chew for now. Better pictures next time please :)

Cyberthrasher

Premium
23 Sep 2019
California
First Name
Allen
As an example to what Jakub is saying - I've been apprenticing since late last year and have gotten to the point of doing some more complex pieces on practice skin. But I've only just done 2 tiny tattoos within the last few weeks - only after my mentor thought I had enough control of the basics to be able to work on family. And I'm only allowed to do basic black pieces until they are perfected in flesh, even though I can do more than that on practice skin. Right now we're picking pieces based on a specific goal; crisp lines, even black fill, clean spacing, etc... Once I'm confident I can do those reliably, I'll move on to doing some basic shaded black and grey and some basic colors. Basic small steps because these things are permanent.

Both of these are getting touched up to fix some fill issues and crisp up a couple of lines as soon as they're done healing up.

1613066563361.png 1613066632825.png

gadsden1776

Premium
8 Oct 2011
First Name
n
...And I'm only allowed to do basic black pieces...
not all apprenticeships are the same. many are just income streams for an artist.

this sounds like a proper apprenticeship where the mentor not only cares about his reputation but your future as an artist (from his/her pedigree so to speak) & by extension his & your clients.

Cyberthrasher

Premium
23 Sep 2019
California
First Name
Allen
not all apprenticeships are the same. many are just income streams for an artist.

this sounds like a proper apprenticeship where the mentor not only cares about his reputation but your future as an artist (from his/her pedigree so to speak) & by extension his & your clients.
Oh yeah, she's pretty awesome. She does kind of let me figure out my own problems instead of directing me, but that's how I learn best so it's a good fit. She'll obviously speak up if necessary but otherwise it's "let's see what you've learned"

79josh81

Premium
25 Oct 2019
Media
Wisconsin
First Name
Josh
Also, try to get some better pictures that are more clear and without filters like black and white. It’s really hard to see your photos because they’re either blurry or in black and white which will hide a lot of mistakes if you’re wanting honest criticism on your work. And yeah, leave the human skin alone for now and focus on techniques unless you’re tattooing yourself.

Iceman87

Premium Plus
30 Dec 2018
Burnley
First Name
Adam
@ajinktattoos
I self taught and told my local tattooist I’ve been tattooing people. He asked to see my work and I was offered an apprenticeship on the way out. If you research enough, prepare and follow health and safety down to a T, then go for it. You’re now aware of your lining issues, so go away, research how to pull solid lines, practice practice practice. I like your work (for a beginner) and I definitely think you’ll progress And become a good artist.

Yeah it’s beneficial to secure an apprenticeship as you will learn a lot... however, a lot of apprentices have appalling stories of their experiences as an apprentice. I think a guy on here recently quit one.

my advice would be keep researching and seeing how to develop your skill set... if people are willing to let you tattoo them, then do it. Id recommend close friends or family.

Remove Ads

soulstare22

Premium
20 Jan 2019
china
First Name
Tim
https://www.instagram.com/lilcatinkportfolio/
take better photos, photography is super important for presentation quality and the thing that displays your portfolio.

might just be the website, but your photos all look blurry. Also it's harder for us to judge photos with black and white or any filters, if you want honest evaluations

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.