Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

The best pathway to becoming a pro?

First Name
Peter
Hello everyone!

Just joined this place and would like to tell yous bout myself and ask for some advice :)

I am currently a muay thai fighter but Ive always had a passion for Art in particular drawing. I like I mostly like fantasy and bio-mechanical art. I like really nice shading and detail!
Ive always wanted to be able to make a living drawing and tattooing is the first thing that comes to mind. However Im not entirely sure how to go about it. Im aware that its not something you can just casually get into and I dont plan to get an apprenticeship for another few years until my artistic ability is where I want it to be.

Is the best way to become and professional tattooist is through building a portfolio then getting an apprenticeship? Should I be drawing because I have heard from some people that painting with water colors is more similar to the feeling of tattooing. Also should be purchasing a tattoo kit before i start an apprenticeship to practice on pig skin ect to get a feel for tattooing( as in the difference between drawing and actually tattooing) Or should I not bother with that and just focus on having a good portfolio and getting an apprenticeship? Im currently working on my portfolio atm and hope to upload some stuff later on, Any advice to any of these questions ive asked would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

Patch72

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Russ
Hello everyone!

Just joined this place and would like to tell yous bout myself and ask for some advice :)

I am currently a muay thai fighter but Ive always had a passion for Art in particular drawing. I like I mostly like fantasy and bio-mechanical art. I like really nice shading and detail!
Ive always wanted to be able to make a living drawing and tattooing is the first thing that comes to mind. However Im not entirely sure how to go about it. Im aware that its not something you can just casually get into and I dont plan to get an apprenticeship for another few years until my artistic ability is where I want it to be.

Is the best way to become and professional tattooist is through building a portfolio then getting an apprenticeship? Should I be drawing because I have heard from some people that painting with water colors is more similar to the feeling of tattooing. Also should be purchasing a tattoo kit before i start an apprenticeship to practice on pig skin ect to get a feel for tattooing( as in the difference between drawing and actually tattooing) Or should I not bother with that and just focus on having a good portfolio and getting an apprenticeship? Im currently working on my portfolio atm and hope to upload some stuff later on, Any advice to any of these questions ive asked would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
Welcome to the site mate,if and when you can go premium on here,small charge but with all the extras it’s more than worth it.
Don’t bother buying a kit mate they ain’t worth it,you can get great machines on eBay that will last a life time,also learn to tattoo with coils even if it’s just to get basics right then you can go over to the dark side,start on coils and then rotary come natural can’t do it other way round means starting all over.if you can get a apprenticeship good luck just make sure your not charged,build up a good portfolio on drawing from colour to b&g don’t stick to one type of designs show your ability in all styles of drawing.
Like most of us we’ve all sat in the customers chair for hours upon end asking questions watching an learning.
You can start on pigskin,fake skins or loads on here use reelskin(think this is shite to be honest just my opion on it).
Also when buying your equipment get the best you can afford,make sure you barrier everything up even on practice work gets you into a routine
Good luck

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
hiya bud welcome to the site..like everything patch said dont buy cheap ass kits itll do you no favours..always get the best you can..im not learning coil machines yet iv gone straight to rotary because in our studio im not allowed to use coils...my mate that teaching me said A .coils are a pain in butt. they go out of tune your constantly messing with them and B the landlord above us wont put up with the noise .i will buy a couple of coils one day to play with just to see how they are..you will get lots of help and advice on here..you will buy many many machines till you find a couple that works for you..if you want a cheap taste of a rotary without paying big money on ebay theres clone bishop machines..i use one at home for practicing on fake skin and leave my genuine bishop at the studio.. dont bother with a clone stigma on ebay they are useless.so buy coils and rotary and see what works for you..just remember when it comes to equipment theres no right and wrong..everyone has a opinion on what is best and you need to find what works best for you as everyone works different