Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

The Dreaded Hand Shakes

Thread starter #1

Deziner

The Bitch!
Premium
First Name
Claire
Does anyone have a good remedy for the dreaded hand shakes when doing a tattoo on someone?
I used to even have trouble just squeezing the ink into the post, never mind actually tattooing someone.

This may sound a bit crude, but a tattooing friend once told me that masturbating just before when you are about to tattoo someone reduces the shakes. Sounds awful, but its a bit weird to me. :confused:
Might be worth a try though....... :cool:

Media
First Name
Kevin
Deziner said:
This may sound a bit crude, but a tattooing friend once told me that masturbating just before when you are about to tattoo someone reduces the shakes. Sounds awful, but its a bit weird to me. :confused:
:eek: I read this on a forum somewhere a while back. Maybe its worth a try :rolleyes:

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hi Claire,

was that mate a bloke by any chance?? :rolleyes:

If you are seriously struggling with nerves you could try 'Rescue Remedy' - a natural herbal remedy which you can buy from chemists and take orally! You squeeze a couple of drops onto the tongue (not recommended for other parts!!) before you do anything that stresses you - it really works. A 'friend' of mine told me about it years ago!!! LOL!

Patrick

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Patrick
Does anyone have a good remedy for the dreaded hand shakes when doing a tattoo on someone?
I used to even have trouble just squeezing the ink into the post, never mind actually tattooing someone.

Claire
I got a coach load of blokes who suddenly think a tattoo is a good idea, expect some calls. lol;)

gazza

First Name
gary shaw
Hi Claire,

was that mate a bloke by any chance?? :rolleyes:

If you are seriously struggling with nerves you could try 'Rescue Remedy' - a natural herbal remedy which you can buy from chemists and take orally! You squeeze a couple of drops onto the tongue (not recommended for other parts!!) before you do anything that stresses you - it really works. A 'friend' of mine told me about it years ago!!! LOL!
then again you could drop a few valls

Snoogins

First Name
Mike
I was having trouble with the machine vibrations when I first tried pigskin (I know, not the same as nerves!) and my tattoo artist friend suggested holding some balled up kitchen roll in my tattooing hand. Worked a treat, he said that's what he used to do to help prevent the shakes when he first started out. It's worth a shot anyway, I don't know how it worked but my shaky lines stopped as soon as i tried it

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
I have been thrapping quicker than a bee's wing and i am still getting the shakes haha :) :) :icon_lol:

First Name
Tony
It Does work, but you have to do it the right way, Give it a try, take a few pics so we can see if your doing right lol

or tattoo naked thats stops the shakes as well.

all aside, the rescue stuff should work,

Thread starter #14

Deziner

The Bitch!
Premium
First Name
Claire
OMG! :icon_redface:
What happened to this thread? Did i say something? LOL :icon_mrgreen:

Titan-Ink

Titan-Ink
Premium
First Name
Steve Morris
Iv'e arrived tony..........:icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin::icon_cheesygrin:

I was having trouble with the machine vibrations when I first tried pigskin (I know, not the same as nerves!) and my tattoo artist friend suggested holding some balled up kitchen roll in my tattooing hand. Worked a treat, he said that's what he used to do to help prevent the shakes when he first started out. It's worth a shot anyway, I don't know how it worked but my shaky lines stopped as soon as i tried it
Balled up how? on wrist?

Agree with tony ! :icon_mrgreen:
Or something better.... i think that you must call us to come there to see exactly if this works....does not fit mistakes...this is critical ! :icon_twisted:

Albionwolf

First Name
K
Do you drink tea or coffee as this can give you the shakes energy drinks too they would seem like a good choice to help u concentrate but honestly they will have your hands going like Marty mc fly ( Parkinson's )

First Name
OG
hi there
pack your hand with paper towels , this works i was told this by an old tattooist who use to drink beer and get pissed all the time and the next day he would be hang over and couldnt keep his hand still so ,he use to make a ball with paper towels and pack them in his hand ,hope this helps

daveb

First Name
Dave
Most occurrences of the shakes are usually of course related to anxiety and nerves as am sure you realise ......this can be especially pronounced when first learning to tattoo real people and real skin!..after all its a very serious and demanding process with bed consequences if things go wrong!......Most solutions to bad shakes of the hands involve cutting out or cutting down on excess coffee intake, alcohol or other drugs and learning to relax....which usually comes with increasing confidence and experience...

The masturbation advice seems pretty sound physiologically but not very realistic and maybe not very convenient at the time!...and i cant say ive tried it, but lots of research def shows that during ejaculation, men release a cocktail of brain chemicals, including norepinephrine, serotonin, oxytocin etc and PARTICULARLY a hormone called prolactin..it is mainly this that makes men sleepy after sex and also determines when they are ready for another shot! ....men deficient in prolactin have much faster recovery times!...whilst those that produce a lot may need to wait days before they feel ready or may even become impotent!.... in fact when prolactin is injected into animals they immediately become very relaxed and often even fall asleep..

The downside to this cocktail of chemicals is they can also make it harder to concentrate and the last thing you want is to be drowsy or too chilled during the tattoo process!...

I suggest first before you go blind masturbating yourself to death!...that you first practise lots of drawing and using the tattoo machine as often as you can every day to build up muscles and confidence , even try a dry test run with the tattoo machine before the client arrives to get your hand in the mood and feel...very often bad shakes will subside after 10mins of actual tattooing anyway..its usually those first few awkward nervous mins that are the worst...during that time dont try anything too unrealistic like a long line thats an important feature...always try on an area that can easily be shaded up to or even covered.....when you feel ready and you have your bearings and needle depth/correct skin stretch etc which will be different depending on the area of skin and each client.... then continue with the important lines...as an example if you are tattooing say a Nice fancy Koi..start on a few lines on say the inside of tail...before you attempt the eyes, scales, fins, outline or Japanese waves etc...i hope you know what i mean...it helped me a year ago when i was usually a nervous wreck for the first 5 or so tattoos i did..

Also try using big tube grips which i found can be quite helpful when starting out...as is packing paper towels in your hand as suggested which also helps subdue hand tremor and in some ways is the same as using big tube grips so give both ideas a go...

As your technique and experience along with your confidence increase you should find that your shaking will very soon subside to acceptable/normal levels....think calm..relax..take deep breaths, try not to rush, in fact deliberately try and slow down everything..your breathing your hands, the time you take to dip in the ink..wipe etc...go slow and talk with your mentor and client!....if the shaking is really bad then you may need a bit more time and practise before you feel really ready to start on real skin....good luck

First Name
Ben
Screwing up a paper towel helps absorbe the vibration.

You could always try smoking abit if wacky backy it you can't stop shaking:icon_razz: