Too Painful

ASH13

Basic
First Name
TWM
Ive finally tattooed 2 friends. They both complained the entire time that it hurt too much.

Ive also done 5 on myself and although it hurt I tried to ignore it and tough it out.

I try to work at 5-7 volts and needle depth the thickness of a dime-nickle. If I try less than those the ink doesnt stay in the skin.

Can you guys help? :icon_cry:

frontosa

Premium
First Name
Steve
could be the ink you are useing.

i have tattoo'd my mate's arm and leg with Tallen's black ink with no probs.
then i used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kuro-Sumi...Beauty_Tattoos_BodyArt_SM&hash=item43a9f622edKuro Sumi outline.
to test it so i did a small trible tat on his leg and he said it hurt him ? so i think its is down to ink...as i have used tallens to tattoo him on his leg he has 4 trible tat going all around his leg and one arm has full sleeve of trible i have done with no probs.

what ink are you useing ?

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
I really don't think it is down to the ink, tattoos do hurt but they do hurt more in different parts of the body, sometimes it can be because they are your friends they can complain, but if a pro tattoo artist tattooed them then they probably would grin and bear it, when you say you try to work between 5-7 v, why, it sounds a bit slow to me, try running your machines faster and practice your speed on piggy and if they are saying it is hurting them when you are doing colour then don't have the needles out so far, make sure you use a thin layer of Vaseline, sometimes if they see blood they think of pain and seem to complain more, also use good quality needles, this can make a big difference. I have switched to the cheyenne hawk, the needles cost more but i'm having some great feed back about how much less the tattoos hurt up against the coil machines, also the healing time is cut by half.

skinpix

Premium
First Name
Mark
There are a couple of things that would cause a lot of pain....tattooing over depth & poor quality needles.....you should be tattooing no deeper than 2mm.
When lining,the machine should run between 6 - 8 volts (approx) and for colour,
7 - 9 volts (approx) this will differ slightly from machine to machine...when lining,take your time,if you try to line too quickly,they will be scratchy & uneven...when putting colour in...small tight circle motions...hope this helps...
Also make sure the skin is stretched properly.

ASH13

Basic
First Name
TWM
I really don't think it is down to the ink, tattoos do hurt but they do hurt more in different parts of the body, sometimes it can be because they are your friends they can complain, but if a pro tattoo artist tattooed them then they probably would grin and bear it, when you say you try to work between 5-7 v, why, it sounds a bit slow to me, try running your machines faster and practice your speed on piggy and if they are saying it is hurting them when you are doing colour then don't have the needles out so far, make sure you use a thin layer of Vaseline, sometimes if they see blood they think of pain and seem to complain more, also use good quality needles, this can make a big difference. I have switched to the cheyenne hawk, the needles cost more but i'm having some great feed back about how much less the tattoos hurt up against the coil machines, also the healing time is cut by half.
This is how I thought too....theyre tattoos and they do hurt.

The ink is a mix of Moms, Iron Butterfly and Iron Sakura.

But I am using very cheap needle/coils/power supply.

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
I use kuro sumi outline ink and mom's for colour and I get my needles from power line, if you buy from the power line web page and you want a small order you will pay a lot for post but they sell all of there products on eBay and it is normally free post, try there 5 tight round liners and 7 or 9 round shaders, they are about *£13 for a box of 50 with post but you can buy them in 5, 10, and 25 amounts.
use this item number in ebay 290337786356 and then click on see other items.

Tarantula

Premium
First Name
Jais
It shouldn't be ink unless they're all allergic to kuro sumi? Or ofc if it's the cheap fake crap. Maybe check your needle tips to be sure you're not hitting the tubes when inserting them, also make sure you're not hitting the bottom of the cup when dipping ink (take foot off pedal when dipping), blunt or hooked needles will hurt like hell. Hand speed also may be a problem, moving the hand too fast or too slow will scratch or cut the skin, have a practice on a banana and see if you're tearing up the skin.

Cheap power supply doesn't really matter too much, cheap coils you can fix by filling any extra space inside the coil with steel wool, or by adding a yoke, either of these will make the coils perform much better, a lot of cheap machines will need fairly high volts to run well, either of these 2 tricks will help bring the volts down, remember turning volts up doesn't make the machine run faster, changing the springs does that.

ASH13

Basic
First Name
TWM
I think I found the problem.

The last needles/tubes I bought were like 25 for $20, so Im thinking they are dull. Is there any way I could fix them?

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
I would use the ones you have got for practise on pig skin and buy new good quality one for people, just buy them in tens until you find the one you are happy with.

tattytone

Premium
First Name
Tony
I would say its ur needles as well, also cheap power supplys are not that good, i have one and i set it to 7v put a multi metre on it and it reads 10v my other on is spot on.

Get some new needles from powerlines or shorhamred and it should be ok.

Chris1983

Basic
First Name
chris
i was havin the same problem- ooo that hurts, ink dont go in etc . I Asked lots of pro's and looked on the net for advise and i got told- its ya machine, its ya needles, its ya ink, its your technique etc. So i brought a custom gun (ready tuned), eternal inks and bug pin needles. there was a slight improvement TBH but not much. so then i went to my friends studio who let me work on him with his own equipment and the result was amazing WTF? As i now have the same machine, ink and needles at home we were both very confused. then i changed my power pack and BOOM ink went straight in and the same friends said that they could hardly feel it. When i checked my old power pack the voltage was not as stable and the amps were far to high. My old power pack was a cheap Horizon one that came from a wholesale supplier. the changed it for me but it was the crap as before. i recommend the Hurricane HP-2 it is an amazing supply i used it for a convention last weekend 2x16 hour days and it didnt miss a beat.
Hope this helps.