Transfer Won't Stick

Cassandra

Basic
4 Oct 2011
I ran into a first-time problem last night. I was working on a piece for a girl's inner bicep, and the transfer refused to stay. I prepped it with good ol' Speedstick (I know, I should switch to Stencil Stuff), but as soon as I touched it, the transfer wiped straight off. Even resting my hand, it stuck to the glove instead of her skin. I layed the transfer twice, with varying amounts of Speedstick, with the same problem. This girl has lost a considerable amount of weight so she has quite a bit of excess skin, making the tattoo difficult anyways (I'll have someone stretch her skin for me next time, my hands are too small). Any thoughts as to why the transfer just wouldn't stick? I haven't seen this particular problem before. The transfer would go on, it just wouldn't stay on! She does have extremely soft, well-moisturized skin. Thank you!

jamesb

Premium
16 Dec 2010
I ran into a first-time problem last night. I was working on a piece for a girl's inner bicep, and the transfer refused to stay. I prepped it with good ol' Speedstick (I know, I should switch to Stencil Stuff), but as soon as I touched it, the transfer wiped straight off. Even resting my hand, it stuck to the glove instead of her skin. I layed the transfer twice, with varying amounts of Speedstick, with the same problem. This girl has lost a considerable amount of weight so she has quite a bit of excess skin, making the tattoo difficult anyways (I'll have someone stretch her skin for me next time, my hands are too small). Any thoughts as to why the transfer just wouldn't stick? I haven't seen this particular problem before. The transfer would go on, it just wouldn't stay on! She does have extremely soft, well-moisturized skin. Thank you!

hello could be a number of reasons .....
i dont use speed stick by you saying you use speed stick i assume you in the usa ....
im not sure if you have "dettol" over there but i use that and find it better than "stencil stuff"
it do sound as though you are putting the stencil on when the skin is still to wet from the speed stick try letting it go "sticky" just before it drys out (it goes sticky for a min or 2 before it totaly evapourates off the skin) then get your stencil on ;) hope this help p.s dont put a stencil on when the skin is streched it should be in its natural state ;)

Cassandra

Basic
4 Oct 2011
Speedstick is actually deodorant, don't know why but it typically works like a charm! And it is wet when I apply the transfer, I'll try waiting a minute to let it evaporate some. And i do lay the transfer at the skin's natural relaxed straight, typically with the client standing so i can see what's most natural for them. Thank you! And I'll look for the product you suggested, do you have a link to it?

jamesb

Premium
16 Dec 2010
Speedstick is actually deodorant, don't know why but it typically works like a charm! And it is wet when I apply the transfer, I'll try waiting a minute to let it evaporate some. And i do lay the transfer at the skin's natural relaxed straight, typically with the client standing so i can see what's most natural for them. Thank you! And I'll look for the product you suggested, do you have a link to it?
hi cassandra ;) this is a link for the product althouh a lil expensive i normally pay around *£2 a bottle the same size from the supermarket in the household cleaning section ;) hope this help
p.s i use this neat to apply stencil + it got the added benifit of cleaning the skin (work surface) also ;)

petrolhead19

Basic
3 Jan 2012
One way i have tried recently is alcohol wipes, wipe the skin let it dry a little then apply the stencil works a treat

Viper65

Basic
13 Oct 2011
Sounds like she has too much lotion on her skin......I had a similer problem once with suntan lotion, the stencil wouldn't take for shit.

TexasPT

Premium Gold
9 Dec 2011
I'm with xdebx on this one...wipe with alcohol first and let it dry. I haven't lost a stencil since I started doing that.

Mark

inkstar

Premium
11 Jul 2011
One way i have tried recently is alcohol wipes, wipe the skin let it dry a little then apply the stencil works a treat

yip it will work great ive said this before.the best way to put a stencil on is to use alcohol. thats because stencil paper is a spirt base carbon paper in the shop we use 100% alcohol with a few drops of detol so it duznt dry to fast so you have time to line up stencil