P Trip to Utat2 Sheffield

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hi all,
Just returned from a day's training with AJ in Sheffield and I would say to anyone within reasonable travel distance - get yourself along there!

Am absolutely knackered cos it was a full on day, but worth every penny, and I did my first tat on real skin!! (pic to follow) - so am over the moon!

We covered all aspects all be it briefly (my choice), then had session on tuning, taking apart, cleaning my machines, which for me was invaluable and proved it is straight forward so gave me more confidence.

We then spent the afternoon putting a real tat on my bro - a coloured koi - took bout 3 hours. AJ started me off, I did some, he demo'd techniques then I did more.

I have learned so much in 1 day - excellent - highly recommend it! So am ready to go now!!!! Guinea pigs please.......

Daz

Premium
First Name
Darren
glad you enjoyed the trip to AJ pity hes to far from me, look forward to seeing the tattoo you done. :cool:

MrSpoon

Premium
First Name
Darren
fantastic news,bet it feels like a big barrier has been pushed aside as you've taken that first step onto human skin! very much look forward to seeing your first human skin tattoo and if you care to share what you found better/different/more or less awkward as regards the differences of working with pig/human skin on a first impression basis?

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Thanks lads,

I found tattin human skin - if you will pardon the pun, like a knife through butter! Think that is my best analogy! Apart from my nerves initially, it went really well. My bro is covered in tats, so was a great 'model', said I managed really well, so was chuffed to bits! Yep, hurdle over! Can't wait for next one!

AJ has a selection of Micky sharpz (s?) machines and they all run well over 10v - even up to 15! Know some of you use them, so thought you may be int'd in that.

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Hi Dawn,
Well how does it feel to no longer be a skin virgin !!! well done...:clap:cant wait to see the pics.

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Here's THE Tat!!

Here it is folks - my first real tat!

Not entirely my work - but prob about 50% - Now it's not brilliant - but I don't care!! LOL!!! I am proud of it!!!

Kens Koi 03.jpg

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
WOW, that is real nice...:clap:what parts did you do ?? did you do any of the out line.:thumbsup:

oultimer

Premium
First Name
jim
It looks great Dawn you should certainly be proud of it:clap:by the way have you ever had any tats done on yourself by anyone ?

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
It looks great Dawn you should certainly be proud of it:clap:by the way have you ever had any tats done on yourself by anyone ?

No - still a tat virgin!! Talked to AJ about tattin meself - he said I should definately do it!

Prob shouldn't say it - but have seen so many bad tats I can't bring myself to let anyone near me!! Mind you - and not just saying this, but there are a few of you on here I would consider letting tattoo me!

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Of course,silly me...hahahahahahaha:eek:

No - seriously.... I did all the best bits! :p

AJ started me off at the tail and did the lower scales - which are great compared to mine! Then I finished off the line work. He checked it over and kind of tweaked it when I had thought it was finished! :rolleyes:

Re the colour - about 50/50 - but I am ok puttin in the colour. Ken was gettin a bit sore towards the end, so AJ quickly tied it up with the white tips!

Tried mags - which I managed for solid colour, but will def need practice for shading as hadn't used them before - again AJ had to tweak some of the blue I'd done.

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Well,for a first time on real skin,i think you have done a f*****g cracking job:clap: looking at it,i would not have said it was done by a first timer......wish i was closer,I'd be popping round for you to practice on me.:thumbsup:

jamesb

Premium
First Name
james
yea wild you could practice on me to lol i wish i was a lil closer to sheffeild would like to do maybe a weeked but would cost alot inc hotel and fuel back and fore :( or do any1 know if he does a weekend program/hotel package ??

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
Hi Dawn

I bet you're really pleased with that tatt, it looks ace. It was obviously worth the visit to see AJ. Now you have done real skin you will be wanting to do it all the time. Your brother must be really pleased with that especially as it's your first.
Well done can't wait to see the next one.:clap:

j3rz3y1

Premium
Media
First Name
Frank
OK i once said time for real skin

:clap::thumbsup::clap::thumbsup::clap::thumbsup: very nice hun you did great i knew once you got over the nervys you would be ok . Just nwork like you do on piggys an you will be fine . Im proud of you realy nice work hun :thumbsup: Ed :cool:

barcode1973

Premium
First Name
Lee
The first time on real skin is an amazing moment (for me it was the Hulk on on my mates leg) The difference between human and pig skin is massive and "a knife through butter" is exactly how it is!
I am tempted to do a day with AJ but I also tempted to do some work with L1nk just around the corner from me. *£700 for 3 days is a fair bit of change though or they do *£100 induction then *£50 an hour, nowhere near as cheap as *£150 for the day with AJ (including petrol). AJ also lets you choose what you want to learn by the sound of it.

A local tattoo parlour is advertising for a self employed "qualified tattoist"? I'm gonna pop in and see what they are after and maybe ask for an apprentiship? You never know.

Sorry for going off topic , nice work anyway Dawn another reccomendation for AJ.

Also you mentioned he uses MIcky Sharpz and they are 10-15v? The new shorty cutback I got doesnt kick in till 11v? and goes up to about 14v does anyone know why this is?

mxtattoo

Premium
First Name
Rob
well done

Hi Dawn, im glad to hear you had a good time at AJs and love the tat the colours realy pop awsome job well done! so all human from now on then !! :clap::clap::thumbsup:

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hi - and thanks to you all - you know I could not have gotten this far without all the help and advice from the forum - so keep on posting guys!:kiss:

To reply to couple of comments

the website is www.utat2.co.uk
if anyone wants to have a chat with AJ, drop him an email. He's a nice guy - very helpful, so sure he would do what he could to accommodate requests.

JB - his shop is only tiny - but just on outskirts of city, so am sure you could find a cheap B&B if you wanted to stop over. That said, I don't think looking at your work you would need more than a day? But get in touch with AJ and ask him.

Lee - yes, you can (or at least I did), ask to spend more time on the things I felt needed help with. For me it was taking the machines apart, tuning etc.
I then wanted AJ to shadow me doing a real tat - for confidence more than anything, but I guess everyone has their own 'weakness'.

We covered all aspects - legal - disposing of waste/needles - getting licenced - hygiene - disclaimers etc.etc. But as AJ said, he feels most other courses just drag out the time you spend on things. Anyone serious about tattooing will probably already have gained quite a bit of knowledge from places like this! :thumbsup:

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
Very nice!
You probably chose one of the hardest colours to tattoo. Yellow/Gold i find is an absolute nightmare. My motto is, when you see the blood, its in!

Very nice first tattoo. You should be proud.

j3rz3y1

Premium
Media
First Name
Frank
Dear Dawn

Well you got your first real skin in an by now anotherone or two ,so don't forget if i can ever get the moneys up to cross the big water you said you would tattoo me :thumbsup: Ed :cool:

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Well you got your first real skin in an by now anotherone or two ,so don't forget if i can ever get the moneys up to cross the big water you said you would tattoo me :thumbsup: Ed :cool:

Hey Ed - it's a deal! You get your axx over here n you'll go back covered in tat's lol!!!:kiss:

Yeah LMR - he's a great guy - dead laid back but a mine of info... been at it a long time - and said if you can think of a place to tat - he's done it :confused: !!

Really helped me to build up my confidence - highly recommend a few hours with AJ - you'll be bound to pick up a few tips. I wouldn't mind going back to spend a day just doing a whole tat - maybe sometime in the future...:thumbsup:

RTats

RTats
Premium
First Name
Rob
thanks for the feedback on tuition

Nice work and courageous for first skin piece - hat off to you.

Thanks for the feedback on the private tuition as well with AJ, as this is not an easy hobby/career choice when it comes to finding supportive mentors.

I love drawing and more recently tattooing, but packing in the day job to clean tubes and dunnies and sweep floors for a few years (although it wouldnt bother me in the slightest) whilst I complete an apprenticeship just is not a realistic option. So for me its either a chance offering, working in the shadows until I have one hell of portfolio, or going it alone.

Knowing there are mentors available, to those effectionately referred to as scratchers, is very reassuring and actually (I believe) makes the industry a safer place. Everyone needs mentors if they want to improve.

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Nice work and courageous for first skin piece - hat off to you.

Thanks for the feedback on the private tuition as well with AJ, as this is not an easy hobby/career choice when it comes to finding supportive mentors.

I love drawing and more recently tattooing, but packing in the day job to clean tubes and dunnies and sweep floors for a few years (although it wouldnt bother me in the slightest) whilst I complete an apprenticeship just is not a realistic option. So for me its either a chance offering, working in the shadows until I have one hell of portfolio, or going it alone.

Knowing there are mentors available, to those effectionately referred to as scratchers, is very reassuring and actually (I believe) makes the industry a safer place. Everyone needs mentors if they want to improve.

Thanks for the comments Robert - and you are so right! AJ commented that he'd be very unpopular with so called 'pro's' - so keeps a low profile. - it's quite sad that we have to hide what we do. It would be a hell of a lot safer if we could openly train - by whatever method. Hell, unless you're v young - with no commitments i.e. home/kids - it's virtually impossible to do it the so called right way! That's why this forum - with great helpful members - and people like AJ are worth their weight in gold:kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Dave
I have took the plunge and booked myself in on the 22nd of this month.(October)
Cant wait! :icon_biggrin:
It will be nice to have someone looking over everything i do, just to say "yes thats correct", or "why dont you do it like this". Even something as easy as the machine not running 100% i would imagine could cause all sorts of problems.
I will post my thoughts after the day.
http://www.utat2.co.uk