• Later today, the site will be offline for essential server upgrades. This upgrade should run without any problems. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Upcoming Tattoo Artist - Purchasing Equip

Basic
First Name
John
I am starting my tattooing journey and need to buy some equipment but some sites make it very hard for upcoming tattoo artist or for people who just want to learn and practice on fake skin and get decent first before even being comfortable to look for an apprentice.

Some sites say that you need to be a “professional” or work in a “shop” which I don’t agree on. I’m pretty sure they started where I was and they have truely forgotten what it feels like.

- Has anyone ever tried buying something and they got rejected? Do they take your money then refund later? Can you tell me your experience.

- Is there any site that I can buy mainstream brand tattoo machine from that are reputable and won’t have any problems? Please recommend some.

Esq

Premium
First Name
Esq
Hey I typically buy from Painful Pleasures, but I know a lot of the places let you buy direct now, for example I bought my ink directly from Dynamic Color.

I bought a few of my lesser things on Amazon like the wraps and dip cups. I also bought my CNC on Amazon.

PainfulPleasures usually hooks you up with out having to be in the industry, try there first

Another good fake skin I found is FrankenSkins - It's a veteran run shop with some quality fake skin for not to much.

I hope this helped!

Dazza

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Daryl
Hi John I’m in perth , I get a lot of stuff from Brett Stewart tattoo supplies , they don’t ask questions, excellent service and fast shipping, if you need any think else just ask 👍

KyleBl4ck

Premium
Media
First Name
Kyle
MrSinister2099
Most of the shops that say you need to be a "professional" are stating that they wont sell to you without a shop reference / license number or you have a tattoo license of your own.

You can buy from Dragonhawk Mast, Element Tattoos, and a few others. Amazon is pretty decent as well sometimes if you dig deep enough.

Basic
First Name
John
Thanks everyone you all have been a great help and supportive.

It’s very downgrading when you get asked what shop you work at when you want to buy supplies, just to practice on fake skin. I don’t feel comfortable to be an apprentice anytime soon. Even then an apprentice/job won’t be easy to get for everyone.

It’s alot to juggle practicing your drawing and then practicing learning to tattoo. This system will only discourage a lot of people wanting to learn as it makes it really hard for upcomers to get supplies. Kinda like discrimination because it’s not illegal to own a machine from where I am at. Sigh.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
This system will only discourage a lot of people
Well, that's petty much what they want. They want to be a close circle of people (like in the old days). But the more you get into this, the more you don't have to bother about those with that attitude. Today there are plenty of people in this industry with a much more open attitude. Just stick to them 🙂

gadsden1776

Premium
First Name
n
I don’t feel comfortable to be an apprentice anytime soon. Even then an apprentice/job won’t be easy to get for everyone.
that's another point. mentors don't want someone that has been practicing on their own.

a traditional apprenticeship is -

-show an artist your portfolio of art. that is drawings, painting, sculpture, etc. NO tattoo work at ALL
-be the shop b!tch for a period of time (coffee, front desk/sales, sanitation, drawing)
-be promoted to shop slave (stenciling, sterilization, watching tattoos, drawing)
-be promoted to servant (set ups, break down, apply stencils perhaps, watch tattoos/ask questions, drawing, learn about skin care & medical aspects)
-be promoted to human (learn how to build/fix/tune coil machines. build your first machines from scratch, pig/fake skin practice)
-be promoted to working apprentice (recruit family/friends/hobo's to give free tattoos too).
-graduate to tattooist - start making the shop money while you earn 30% commission (you are now paying back your free education)

i personally believe in this process to it's very core.

Cyberthrasher

Premium
First Name
Allen
-be promoted to human (learn how to build/fix/tune coil machines. build your first machines from scratch, pig/fake skin practice)
I can't laugh enough at this part :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
In some ways I'm "lucky" that I started at this spot, while doing the other things. In other ways it's a downside because my mentor, though talented in business and tattooing, doesn't understand a lot of the nitty gritty details (she knows nothing about the coil machines she claims to be an expert in). It works for me because I'm capable of finding my own answers to the things she doesn't know. She can judge my work and how I'm progressing, but I've resigned myself to knowing that It's up to me to figure out how to get further at each step. Now, off to go find me some hobos!!!!

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Thanks everyone you all have been a great help and supportive.

It’s very downgrading when you get asked what shop you work at when you want to buy supplies, just to practice on fake skin. I don’t feel comfortable to be an apprentice anytime soon. Even then an apprentice/job won’t be easy to get for everyone.

It’s alot to juggle practicing your drawing and then practicing learning to tattoo. This system will only discourage a lot of people wanting to learn as it makes it really hard for upcomers to get supplies. Kinda like discrimination because it’s not illegal to own a machine from where I am at. Sigh.
I'm an old anarchist fart and i can tell you : there's always an option that'll keep you and your pride on a joyous path.

You don't have to accept the system, neither do you have to let peer pressure guide your life.
These people don't want to do business with you? Ok. Go find someone else. Go find a foreign shop which ships internationally. Pay more shipping taxes for these damn goods, if you truly want them. Find someone who's going abroad and ask him/her to bring you back some gear, or someone abroad to ship you the items. Buy correct cheap chinese tools and kill them in the work of becoming a tattooer.
Take another road, this is only a STOP sign if you decide it really is.

It may be very personnal but i don't like to be depending on someone or some company to do my things.
I prefer sharing what i can with other peeps who will trade their time, knowledge, tools, and who understand what it means to be alive.

I don't want to get an apprenticeship in my town. I don't know the tattoers there, i really don't mind about their business and hope they're happy with their lives, i don't want to be part of the industry, i don't want to represent anything or anyone, get into a competition they're trying to create, i don't need to jump over their barriers to get my stuff done.
Don't pay too much attention to what you see and hear, and find solutions rather than putting it on a personnal level.
You seem to know the world you're walking through, if they don't want you to keep walking, pave the way to your own dimension and see who can access both worlds.
You may never need those guy who seem not to need you.

Don't play under their restrictive rules, segregationism is the diva of the dumbest band ever.

I like a sentence by Philipp K Dick (US Sci-Fi writer) which relates to that:
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Don't feel downgraded, it's just their agenda they're pushing on you.
Nobody owns you, keep it cool with yourself and don't believe the hype.

Peace,

DKJ

Last edited:

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
Hey Dazza would you happen to have Instagram or somewhere we can talk more? Not sure how to DM you on here.
You can click on his name, above his post, and "start conversation".
He will get a notification next time he's browsing the forums.

Peace,

DKJ

Basic
First Name
John
I'm an old anarchist fart and i can tell you : there's always an option that'll keep you and your pride on a joyous path.

You don't have to accept the system, neither do you have to let peer pressure guide your life.
These people don't want to do business with you? Ok. Go find someone else. Go find a foreign shop which ships internationally. Pay more shipping taxes for these damn goods, if you truly want them. Find someone who's going abroad and ask him/her to bring you back some gear, or someone abroad to ship you the items. Buy correct cheap chinese tools and kill them in the work of becoming a tattooer.
Take another road, this is only a STOP sign if you decide it really is.

It may be very personnal but i don't like to be depending on someone or some company to do my things.
I prefer sharing what i can with other peeps who will trade their time, knowledge, tools, and who understand what it means to be alive.

I don't want to get an apprenticeship in my town. I don't know the tattoers there, i really don't mind about their business and hope they're happy with their lives, i don't want to be part of the industry, i don't want to represent anything or anyone, get into a competition they're trying to create, i don't need to jump over their barriers to get my stuff done.
Don't pay too much attention to what you see and hear, and find solutions rather than putting it on a personnal level.
You seem to know the world you're walking through, if they don't want you to keep walking, pave the way to your own dimension and see who can access both worlds.
You may never need those guy who seem not to need you.

Don't play under their restrictive rules, segregationism is the diva of the dumbest band ever.

I like a sentence by Philipp K Dick (US Sci-Fi writer) which relates to that:
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Don't feel downgraded, it's just their agenda they're pushing on you.
Nobody owns you, keep it cool with yourself and don't believe the hype.

Peace,

DKJ
Respect!

Didn’t want to create a new thread so I’ll ask here:

1. Currently looking to buy some cartridge needles I am thinking of getting maybe getting 3 different kinds (lining, shading, color pack) so I can get started practicing on fake skin. Could someone recommend me a cartridge needle for lining, shading and packin? Please list name, size, type, taper to get? Hopefully 3 is enough to do majority of practicing on fake skin?

2) Also looking to buy some very bright color inks that has strong saturation like some neotraditional work. Company I have in mind are Eternal, Intenze, Starbrite, Radiant, World Famous. Can anyone recommend me 5, the bottle colour names to get from the listed company.

cheers

Dazza

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Daryl
Respect!

Didn’t want to create a new thread so I’ll ask here:

1. Currently looking to buy some cartridge needles I am thinking of getting maybe getting 3 different kinds (lining, shading, color pack) so I can get started practicing on fake skin. Could someone recommend me a cartridge needle for lining, shading and packin? Please list name, size, type, taper to get? Hopefully 3 is enough to do majority of practicing on fake skin?

2) Also looking to buy some very bright color inks that has strong saturation like some neotraditional work. Company I have in mind are Eternal, Intenze, Starbrite, Radiant, World Famous. Can anyone recommend me 5, the bottle colour names to get from the listed company.

cheers
Hi buddy Daryl Boags on face book ,I won’t add you as friend as my fb is pretty boring but happy for you to message me

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.