Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

Vaseline/ointment

First Name
Jack
Hey!
So I was wondering. What is better to use vaseline or ointment during process? For now I'm going to practise on fake skin, but I would love to know what works better on real skin and also on fake skin. And if using vaseline what brand/kind should I use?

ribul

Donator  
Premium
First Name
richard
on fake skin coconut oil every time. @MalligaMallan will agree im sure.. Vaseline is too thick and will clog the needle too..As for ointment when tattooing use any good tattoo butter will be ok..everyone on here has a personal preference. personally i use penny black

AtlantaNate

Premium
First Name
Nathan
I've used Hustle Butter, Vaseline, A&D and Inkeeze Green Glide and I think I like Green Glide the best. Hustle Butter is too expensive and melts but smells great, I use it on my healing and healed tattoos. Green Glide is petroleum based which I would rather it not be but it doesn't melt, smells good, is thinner that Vaseline and A&D and it is pretty cheap. Vaseline and A&D are just a little thicker than I would like but are the cheapest

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
@ribul is right, cold pressed coconut oil so much better on fake skin, and doesn't clog the needles. On human skin I use Hustle Butter, doesn't melt for me. Love it, and smells great :) Green Glide is as good, but petroleum based as @AtlantaNate mentions, therefore I don't use it. Like someone else said - it's usually a matter of personal preference.

troub1edsou1z

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Tom
I use vasoline while im tattooing. it's cheap and does the job. If you use right, you don't need to worry about clogging needles. I've used A&D, Aquaphor, hustle butter, redemption and they all work. It's a preference really.

fylfot

Donator  
Premium
First Name
david
i've just started using penny black, can't tell much difference to vaseline, but it was worth getting just for the smell!

MadameA23

Premium
First Name
Anna
I use vasoline while im tattooing. it's cheap and does the job. If you use right, you don't need to worry about clogging needles. I've used A&D, Aquaphor, hustle butter, redemption and they all work. It's a preference really.
Hi Tom, got any tips for using Vaseline without it clogging needles? thanks :) A

troub1edsou1z

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Tom
Hi Tom, got any tips for using Vaseline without it clogging needles? thanks :) A
yes, use it sparingly. very thin layer. I usually rub a little vaseline on the area im working then with a paper towel (kitchen roll i believe you guys call it) give it it a quick wipe. Make it a practice to do this everytime you dip for more ink

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
I just made my own using the coconut oil ,Shea butter and beeswax to,stop,it melting to quick,tried it last night and works great

troub1edsou1z

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Tom
If I can be completely honest all of these high dollar ointments and such aren't necessary. Save your money for other things like ink, machines, etc.. I have used a lot of different products that claim the best healing blah blah blah. I have used skinlock, tatuderm, saniderm, hustle butter, redemption, etc..and now back to basic vaseline during the process and recommend auqaphor during the healing process..when i am done with the tattoo i wipe aquaphor on it, wrap it with cling film and send them on there way with aftercare instructions..... I have not noticed any difference in healing time, or healing quality..I know eveyone has their preference but in this industry you're not guaranteed a 40hr/week paycheck so why spend extra money if its not necessary. Now if you are doing this as just a side gig and you have a paycheck every week and want that high dollar stuff then by all means go for it..I just thought i'd give a little insight on the subject....

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
I'm pretty much with Tom there :) I've tried Vaseline, Coco oil, Hustle Butter, Green Glide and Hustle Butter CBD (got those little bags for free). I love those fancy expensive ointments, but HB I have strong impression makes the stencil fade. And as Green Glide is based on petroleum I might as well use Vaseline instead. CBD is ridiculously expensive.

So on next session I'll go back to Vaseline again and try that. The only difference at all I've noticed is that the only ointment that has ever clogged my needles is Vaseline. Will be interesting to see how it goes on Saturday :)

HB smells like a dream, that could be worth a little extra :love: but as at least i have problems with fading stencils when using it, it's not an option anymore (have 2 big jars I have to use though :sneaky:).

As for Saniderm and such, I don't find the healing time to be that much shorter, maybe a couple of days. But the client doesn't have to keep forgetting to use ointment, and they can't do much to make the tattoo infected (if they don't forget the Saniderm for two weeks like my client :eek:) and those are good things. But does that make it worth the cost? Probably not.

troub1edsou1z

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Tom
Anyone tried the Tattoo Goo kit? I just got one from my job seems decent
yes i have tried that as well as an aftercare. I just cant see spending the money. Now if we are talking aftercare for our own tattoos and not the client then that's just preference, but i've yet to come across anything that has significant results in healing time or quality...