Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

volts for lining (rotary)

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
what volts do you guys line with on a rotary? im using a stigma hyper V3 5rl on my practice skins running 8v..i was getting nice lines without lots of ink coming out of the tube and hiding my stencil..my 'mentor' cranked my volts up to 9 and said it needs to be there to get good penetration on reel skin. the problem i have is i feel the machine is racing more vibration..making crisp lines soooo much harder.not to mention more excess ink on the skin

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
It all personal preference really ,if you machine was lining fine at 8 just use 8 ,ts still going to hit the skin with the same punch as 9 but just not run as fast ,I run some rotarys at 10 or 11 no problem ,if your needles spitting ink it may have a tiny hair caught in it ,tty giving it a clean or try a different brand ,good luck

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
I can be worth pointing out that volt only changes punch on rotaries (as Daryl mentions), whereas on coils it changes speed. That is often confusing when reading/watching videos about volts. You have to know what sort of machine they are referring to.

And some rotaries are recommended to run at as low was 4v (Hummingbird). So brand of rotary is also important.

And also, as Daryl says, it's a matter of personal preference. I run my rotaries (RW rotaries, Fkirons halo2, Bishop Fantom, Inkmachines Scorpion) at 4-6 for shading, 6.5-7.5 for lining. Lower than most.

And also type of skin you're tattooing on is important.

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
ah right ..thanks peeps..im going to stick on 8 for the time being it seems a good power for my hand speed..and with no flooding..theres nothing worse than covering the stencil and losing it when you wipe the ink away..i might have to re adjust when im tattooing a person as opposed to practice skin..thanks

balooka

Premium
First Name
Jay
For what it's worth, I use this on my cheyennes (I use their power supply which uses CPS vs V).

Schermafbeelding 2018-08-20 om 12.36.40.png

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
thanks for that balooka..im assuming the higher voltages for lining is for the larger needle grouping like the 14rl..

balooka

Premium
First Name
Jay
I use 120 for 3-7RL but to be honest, it also depends on what it is I'm doing. Some lines look better when you pull them faster, more organic looking. I use a higher CPS then, like 130/140.

I can do straight 9 liners with 120 cps too but have to move slower. It's hand speed vs machine speed... You have to figure out what works best for you. My friend runs a low voltage but has a slow hand speed when lining.

Also, with rotary, the punch/hit is the same with any voltage, there is no give (on mine). The power of the motor is what defines the maximum grouping, as far as I know.

Edit: on reel skin I also up the cps a bit! Edit again: I don't use 14RL, 9 straight MT is largest that I use for lining.

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
it would seem that my hand speed is better suited to the lower volts atm..when i lined with the 7rl last night at 9v my mate thought it looked like 3..so i guess i over compensated my hand speed for the faster needle..i just need to concentrate on good likes and packing the colour in..my shading is hit and miss..more miss than hit at the minute.lol ..but that will come with time

balooka

Premium
First Name
Jay
I'm not sure it has to do with hand speed... I had that problem too in the beginning but that was more a depth issue than speed issue for me. I kept fiddling with the speed but found that my depth was not correct. On a LT needle group I was only using the tip and not the full 'width' of the grouping. When I move too fast for the machine my lines got weaker (ink vs distance) but not thinner.

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
you could well be right..it was one of the 1st lines i did so at that point i hadnt settled in..im going to try and have another practice tonight if i can..i will see how it turns out ..fingers crossed its better lol

mizi0tat

Premium
First Name
Miz
I can be worth pointing out that volt only changes punch on rotaries (as Daryl mentions), whereas on coils it changes speed. That is often confusing when reading/watching videos about volts. You have to know what sort of machine they are referring to.
I am pretty sure it's the other way around, on the rotaries you change the speed with the volts, on the coils you change the punch.

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
I am pretty sure it's the other way around, on the rotaries you change the speed with the volts, on the coils you change the punch.
:X3: Of course! As if it isn't confusing enough, without me turning it around :D Thanks!

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
so let me get this right ..if i lower my speed (volts) the machine will still have the same punch?

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
This is where I finally got it straight a couple of years ago
Jono is real good at explaining. He's got a lot of interesting videos.

balooka

Premium
First Name
Jay
so let me get this right ..if i lower my speed (volts) the machine will still have the same punch?
You can't modify the stroke on a rotary without changing cam. There is nothing to make it go softer, unless you have a rotary with a way to set give. So yes, the machine's punch/hit is the same, the frequency not (dotwork :) ).

Usually you have to set a minimum voltage to make it run. From that point on, the motor will produce the same punch. At least, in my experience with cheyennes.

dirtnail

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Pieter
Far as I understand the hit, for a basic direct drive rotary, will indeed be the same for all voltages since it is derived from the distance the needle travels... so punch depends on the cam size you use. Some machines let you tweak the distance, others have the ability to add give to manipulate the punch. But for rotaries volts only controls speed and is unrelated to punch. At least that's what I understand.

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
ahhh things make sense now.. yeah i can alter the punch on my machine.the stigma hyper v3 is a shader too..i back a screw off on top of the machine

marked 4 life

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Andy
Increasing the volts on a rotary machine increases the speed of the motor, on a coil machine it increases the magnetic pull of the coils so it pulls the armature bar down with more force thus increasing the intensity or “hardness” of the hit.

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
thanks for your help guys..im still struggling to put a good line down first pass..im having to run the line twice..malin pointed something out to me..on the practice skin you have to go a little deeper than you would do on real human skin so i need to try that..iv played about with the volts and sticking at 8v for now..that voltage seems to work for me best so far..

after a bit of digging i found the following info..turns out my machine is more complex than i realised

Attachments

Last edited:

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
So fancy that in the end you don't have any clue to what the machine is actually doing :ROFLMAO:;)
i knew it was a liner and a shader..you will have to excuse me for 'learning' lol

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Increasing the volts on a rotary machine increases the speed of the motor, on a coil machine it increases the magnetic pull of the coils so it pulls the armature bar down with more force thus increasing the intensity or “hardness” of the hit.
Nice to see you here Andy (y)

TexasPT

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
I gave up coming back after the last updates as I can’t get in premium without upgrading to life membership again so I can only see what’s in the non members sections
@Lucy Locket I feel like there must be some mistake here...seems like it says "donator" and I know he was premium at one time. I won't speak for anyone but myself but I sure feel like Andy belongs in the premium section still.

Lucy Locket

Admin
First Name
Lucy
@marked 4 life
I have set your account back to Premium. When we moved to the new software for a different upgrade method a couple of years ago you and a few others asked to be placed in the annual group to contribute yearly. That option has now been discontinued because of Paypal issues, so everyone upgrading now goes into Lifetime.
Your original Lifetime account has been restored.

First Name
Luke
what volts do you guys line with on a rotary? im using a stigma hyper V3 5rl on my practice skins running 8v..i was getting nice lines without lots of ink coming out of the tube and hiding my stencil..my 'mentor' cranked my volts up to 9 and said it needs to be there to get good penetration on reel skin. the problem i have is i feel the machine is racing more vibration..making crisp lines soooo much harder.not to mention more excess ink on the skin
Hey buddy, I know I'm late to the party. But I've had the Hyper V3 for around 4 years, I saw you found the stroke lengths etc lol, it is pretty confusing until you find what works best for you.

Personally I line with 8-9v with the top screw no give but had the same problem at first, they don't explain much with the manual (or lack of) but when they say 2.5 screws that means anti clockwise from fully screwed down.

I found I just have to line a little slower than I would a coil & just make sure the grip is determining the needle depth correctly.

Hopefully you've already mastered it!

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
hiya mate.yeah i managed to work it all out...on fake practice skin it was fine to use but when it came to tattooing human skin i couldn't get on with it..iv ended up using a bishop with a 4.2 stroke and thats working better than the stigma for me at the moment..iv used the bishop for lining and shading..i run the machine slower for shading and adjust my hand pressure..i will try the stigma again when i get the chance