P Warning Over Red Ink

Daz

Premium
Joined
19 Feb 2011
Messages
265
Location
Worcestershire
First Name
Darren
Hi this may prove useful to some of you if you ever come across the problem.
I have recently undergone a large cover up tattoo and despite me being covered in tattoos had a reaction to the red ink for the first time. (I have attached a picture of similar condition)

The reaction caused the red to become very raised, and itchy also warm to touch which indicated an infection. I went to the doctors to be on the safe side who confirmed that the reaction was due to red ink and was not uncommon. He also went on to tell me that Red ink is the only existing ink colour that manufacturers of tattoo ink have not developed to be hypo-allergenic so reactions are pretty common. The doctor recommended some antihistamine cream and some allergy tablets containing Cetirizine Hydrochloride. I have now been taking these for 3 days and can see a slight improvement so hopefully it will return back to normal. The Doctor did say this can take up to 3 months to clear.

He also said in certain circumstances the tattoo may have to be lasered off however he was confident that the treatment he prescribed would work.
I have done a little research on red ink and found that a lot of metals tend to be put into tattoo inks and such metals include nickel and this is the metal most people are usually allergic to.

It is also worth asking your customers if they suffer from allergies as people who do have allergies should think before they get tattoos because as they stand the risk of suffering from anaphylactic shock and this sort of shock can be a life threatening issue.

One last thing the ink the artist used was MoM’s

224173938_e82af9e498.jpg
 

Tattooz

Premium Gold
Joined
16 Sep 2010
Messages
742
Location
Sheffield
Media
19
First Name
Dave
Gender
Male
Hi this may prove useful to some of you if you ever come across the problem.
I have recently undergone a large cover up tattoo and despite me being covered in tattoos had a reaction to the red ink for the first time. (I have attached a picture of similar condition)

The reaction caused the red to become very raised, and itchy also warm to touch which indicated an infection. I went to the doctors to be on the safe side who confirmed that the reaction was due to red ink and was not uncommon. He also went on to tell me that Red ink is the only existing ink colour that manufacturers of tattoo ink have not developed to be hypo-allergenic so reactions are pretty common. The doctor recommended some antihistamine cream and some allergy tablets containing Cetirizine Hydrochloride. I have now been taking these for 3 days and can see a slight improvement so hopefully it will return back to normal. The Doctor did say this can take up to 3 months to clear.

He also said in certain circumstances the tattoo may have to be lasered off however he was confident that the treatment he prescribed would work.
I have done a little research on red ink and found that a lot of metals tend to be put into tattoo inks and such metals include nickel and this is the metal most people are usually allergic to.

It is also worth asking your customers if they suffer from allergies as people who do have allergies should think before they get tattoos because as they stand the risk of suffering from anaphylactic shock and this sort of shock can be a life threatening issue.

One last thing the ink the artist used was MoMââ*€šÂ¬Ã¢*€žÂ¢s

View attachment 1857
Ive seen this discussed before somewhere. I have got a very large red koi at the top of my arm, and when its hot, it swells up quite badly and itches like hell.
Funny enough Daz, that is also Moms inks.
Interesting :icon_confused:
 

Brizobear

Premium
Joined
20 Apr 2011
Messages
102
Location
Blairgowrie Scotland
Media
13
First Name
brian
Ive seen this discussed before somewhere. I have got a very large red koi at the top of my arm, and when its hot, it swells up quite badly and itches like hell.
Funny enough Daz, that is also Moms inks.
Interesting :icon_confused:

i have this problem with black ink , all my tribals flare up and raise out of the skin at certain times and get quite itchy. they were done by different artists and different inks. over a period of about 7 yrs, still get the problem now, I dont get a rash or anything , I asume that because its solid black it heats up more than normal skin and that causes the problem! :icon_mrgreen:

But you know what the say about asumption . lol:icon_wink:
 

maggot

Premium
Joined
25 Feb 2011
Messages
644
Location
Surfleet UK
Media
16
First Name
colin
you want to keep that out the sun has it will probably swell up a bit even after its healed
 

WilD

Premium
Joined
13 Jan 2011
Messages
451
Location
UK
First Name
Dawn
That looks nasty Daz - hope it heals over time!

A client of mine was telling me the other day that she's allergic to red ink - as you state, because of the nickel content. I think it's quite a common thing, particularly with red. But when buying any inks from suppliers, it is possible to ask for certificates to prove they are made with legalised/safe contents. Barber DTS will provide certificates when you buy ink from them. There are a lot of imported inks, and clever copies out there, so it's worth asking for these to be sure you are using safe inks! god only knows what some of the real cheap inks contain!

Cheers for the heads up though - it's always worth being extra aware!
 

Laughing Buddha

Premium
Joined
8 Nov 2011
Messages
318
Location
London
First Name
Ben
I feel your pain. My back swelled up like that from using A&D ointment. And to make it worse after the 8 hours of getting inked and then the reaction I flew back to London from Phuket :(