Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

What happened 😩

Pixie84Maria

Premium
First Name
Maria
Instagram
@pixie84maria
Firstly.. Hi everyone, I’m a newbie here.

So.. I’ve been practising for a while, I’ve now moved onto flesh including my own.
My first tattoo on myself was completely fine.
The second however is causing me concern.
I did it yesterday and everything was fine, the lines looked crisp and neat, I was happy with it! I’ve kept it clean and avoided stretching the skin as it’s on my finger.... but during my sleep last night I scratched it... wow! That hurt A LOT.
The problem this morning is the lines seem to have ‘smudged’.
Is this a blowout?... I tried not to go deep as I know the skin on fingers is thin. Did I cause this by accidentally scratching it in my sleep? How can I protect it from damage without covering it?

Remove Ads Close

marked 4 life

Donator Plus  
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Andy
looks like a blow out to me, fingers can be tricky but there are basic rules which should be applied, what set up did you use, machine, needle type and size, depth, do you understand what is the correct depth to use?

MalligaMallan

Donator Plus  
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Malin
Instagram
@tattoo.morth.art
I agree with marked 4 life, looks like a blow out. But the scratching couldn't have caused it, right Andy? Must have happened when tattooing.

RustDeamon

Premium
First Name
Erick
Blowouts can happen after the fact, keep in mind that's still an open wound if the skin is full of ink is right down to the transition of layers a minor trauma (such as scratch or impact) can cause the permeation of ink into deeper layers. exactly like running too deep will. because the wound moved deeper with the additional trauma and the ink in the skin had plenty of fluid to move around in the still very fresh wound.

marked 4 life

Donator Plus  
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Andy
I agree with marked 4 life, looks like a blow out. But the scratching couldn't have caused it, right Andy? Must have happened when tattooing.
No a scratch would not affect it, ive scratched, scraped, burnt fresh tattoos when i was an engineer, fingers are different to other parts of the body, the ink will either fall out, blow out or be ok, to achieve ok you have probably had blow outs and drop outs until you worked out what you actually did wrong, took me a while 😂

troub1edsou1z

Donator Plus  
Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Tom
Blowouts can happen after the fact, keep in mind that's still an open wound if the skin is full of ink is right down to the transition of layers a minor trauma (such as scratch or impact) can cause the permeation of ink into deeper layers. exactly like running too deep will. because the wound moved deeper with the additional trauma and the ink in the skin had plenty of fluid to move around in the still very fresh wound.
This is somewhat correct. The ink doesn't really move deeper, however in thinner areas of skin, such as fingers, wrist, knee ditch etc because these areas are more "active" the ink can spread during healing. If the ink isn't deposited into the deeper layers, it won't move there on its own

RustDeamon

Premium
First Name
Erick
I explained it poorly, But believe me when I say, if you want to see a mess, slap an almost fresh tattoo hard, if it's still juicy it'll blow out all over the place. scratch/stretch damage isn't that much different. The more the wound moves or is impacted the more secondary trauma there is.

(thanks for tidying up my sloppy explanation)

Pixie84Maria

Premium
First Name
Maria
Instagram
@pixie84maria
looks like a blow out to me, fingers can be tricky but there are basic rules which should be applied, what set up did you use, machine, needle type and size, depth, do you understand what is the correct depth to use?
I used a dragonhawk coil liner with a 3RL, then a Dragonhawk coil Colour packer with a 3RS.
I tried to keep the depth around 1mm as I know fingers are notorious for blowouts. My skin on my fingers is average thickness 🤷🏻‍♀️ I don’t have chubby or boney fingers
In hindsight the only thing I can think I did wrong was to move my hand off the flat surface to face me while I did the right side of the skull and bow. Rookie mistake!

I think I’m lucky I can get away with the blowout looking like shading.
It’s not spread any further during the day and I’m being very cautious to not bend my finger or put my hand in my pocket 🙈

I’m tempted to cover it loosely with a small gauze overnight while I sleep, I really don’t want to cause more trauma to the skin.

Pixie84Maria

Premium
First Name
Maria
Instagram
@pixie84maria
Thank you all for your input.
I won’t be tattooing anyone else’s fingers for a long time yet

Dazza

Donator  
Premium
Media
First Name
Daryl
I
Thank you all for your input.
I won’t be tattooing anyone else’s fingers for a long time yet
I did my finger recently ,looked perfect when done but like yours blew out by the next day and when it healed most of it dropped out ,twice ,finding that perfect depth is a bugger

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Amberxnicole30 General Chat & Advice 13