December drawing contest now active! Here

Welcome To Help Me Tattoo

To get the most from our website you will first need to register.
Some areas will be locked for Premium members only, so if you like what you see, please consider an upgrade.

Register Log in

What Machine Do I need!

Amyjane

Premium
Hi,

I'm just starting out, can any help or advise me on what machine I need to use? Is the 'Puma' machine the right one? Anyone... please help!

Thanks!

Remove Ads Close

inked69er

Premium
help

i also would like advice on a good machine to buy i dont want 1 from china as i have 3 an there more truble then there worth in my eyes. i want to buy a well ballanced 1 an one thats not too expencive but not too cheep an one thats not guna brake every 2mins if any1 can help that would be grate.i would love some advice of one of the pros who run the site an what machines they run thx

steveo44

Premium
ryan machine

Ryan the machine is as you want it to be.Ive bought machines of ebay also good spares for 8and 10 coil wraps,ive even fitted shims on the front coil so it purrrrrs.There is a tune and build your machine in the download section,its not all about twisting your contact srcew;the spares on e-bay are from the uk usa china,there not exspensive,preety cheap,i bought amature bars contact springs coils,then u can build one.Once you have done that you will know your machine,hope this helps mate....By the way some of them on e bay runn preety fast if so turn volts down..

Inkdeep

Basic
How fast Is to fast...I think they heat up quite quick but I don´t know anything about tuning?

steveo44

Premium
Inkdeep said:
How fast Is to fast...I think they heat up quite quick but I don´t know anything about tuning?
You will find the spot when its smooth and crispy sound and dosent splutter try starting your machine on 7-7.5 volts then slowly turn it down till it stops then run it up till ya find that smooth none splutting sound or machines are different,so its up to you to find that spot listern when ure doing it tunning i mean ha and you sometimes can tell when its running sweet other than this down load the course,and u can thaen download how to build and tune your machine its good real good.............

Inkdeep

Basic
The dispay on my poversupply is busted a little but can you tune by listening???

First Name
spunky mcclean
steveo44 said:
If you have been tattooing a while yes BUT DONT go over 10.vllts u will blow your machine.

why cant you go over 10 volts?
sharpz and pulse machines are known to run on higher voltage until you change things

steveo44

Premium
machinemeister said:
why cant you go over 10 volts?
sharpz and pulse machines are known to run on higher voltage until you change things
Hi yes ive heard and read DONT go over 10vltsd as the machine blows may be wrong dont know its not happend to me as i tend not to go up there,As ive read other forums plus my own reading sometimes its to high for some machines....Hi always stay at 6.8 to 7.4 vlts..Pluse i dont build them just saying wat ive seen ect might be wrong soz if it is..

fatlips

Basic
Is it worth buying a kit or should i buy wot i need seperatley any advice thanks

j3rz3y1

Premium
Media
First Name
Frank
tattoo machine

Hildbrandt makes a fine tattoo machine its only 49.00 american they make 8 all the same price go to there site an check it out quite alot of referals from some preety good artist for them .

j3rz3y1

Premium
Media
First Name
Frank
heat up

High voltage is one of the reasons your machine heats up over working at high voltage could blow your coils then you would need a repair kit . I'm sure all of this information is in the book .I am sure you well know getting help in this field is almost imposible but for places like this , the book will give you the information you need to get stated then this website will try to answer your questions to help you get further along .give the book a whirl.

First Name
spunky mcclean
battlemedic said:
High voltage is one of the reasons your machine heats up over working at high voltage could blow your coils then you would need a repair kit . I'm sure all of this information is in the book .I am sure you well know getting help in this field is almost imposible but for places like this , the book will give you the information you need to get stated then this website will try to answer your questions to help you get further along .give the book a whirl.

absolute b@##@ks sorry

Slinky

Premium
First Name
Perri
machinemeister said:
absolute b@##@ks sorry
^^^
If what you are trying to say with that statement is that information IS easy to get hold of about tattooing, then you are obviously one of the people that get removed from friendly forums like this. The tattoo industry is full of jumped up w****rs that think they have the right to tell everyone else what is wrong, but NEVER what is right!

If you are the big tattooist that knows EVERYTHING right from wrong, then share it!

I have seen your posts on here in the past, before they were rightfully deleted by the admins here. Basically, you came here, slagged off everything and everyone, then trotted away, then ranted that your previous posts were missing. I'm sure i'm not on my own when i say this, but if you have nothing constructive to give to this place, then go and hide behind your monitor elsewhere.

Sorry to the mods around here, but i have been waiting for this dick to re-appear....:cussing:

j3rz3y1

Premium
Media
First Name
Frank
sorry if my advise is wrong

Sorry if my advice seems wrong . i am a beginner that has asked alot of questions in the past an what i was told is high voltage can damage your machine . It can burn out your spring heat your coils up to quickly an adventualy fry your machine . Now if you have your machine built for high voltage that is different im sure but as a beginner I have no clue how to do that. it is wise to stay at low voltage until you learn more about machines . I ve read here in the forums you can download a section on how to tune your machine that should help alot for a beginner to start out with . Again i stress the book sounds like its worth its weight in gold to a beginner like ourselfs give it a whirl an see it may be the best investment you could make .

First Name
spunky mcclean
Slinky said:
^^^
If what you are trying to say with that statement is that information IS easy to get hold of about tattooing,
ACTUALLY IT IS

then you are obviously one of the people that get removed from friendly forums like this.
NOT UNTIL NOW MOST PROBABLY.

Slinky said:
The tattoo industry is full of jumped up w****rs [/UNQUOTE]

DEFINATLY WONT DISAGREE WITH YOU THERE!

Slinky said:
that think they have the right to tell everyone else what is wrong, but NEVER what is right!
If you are the big tattooist that knows EVERYTHING right from wrong, then share it![/UNQUOTE]

1 because the info given in those posts WAS wrong.
DO YOU WANT INCORRECT INFORMATION?
2 Im not a tattooist but i was a scratcher just like you
3 NOT ONE SINGLE TATTOO ARTIST KNOWS EVERYTHING
the day you think you know everything is the day you should stop tattooing

Slinky said:
I have seen your posts on here in the past, before they were rightfully deleted by the admins here. Basically, you came here, slagged off everything and everyone,
[/unquote]
THATS NOT TRUE IS IT? WHO DID I ACTUALLY SLAG OFF?

Slinky said:
then trotted away, then ranted that your previous posts were missing.
[UNQUOTE]
ACTUALLY I FORGOT ALL ABOUT THIS PLACE UNTIL SOMEONE REMINDED ME

Slinky said:
I'm sure i'm not on my own when i say this, but if you have nothing constructive to give to this place,[/UNQUOTE]
I HAVE PLENTY OF CONSTRUCTIVE THINGS TO SAY BUT SHOULD IT BE IN THE OPEN? CHILDREN COULD BE READING THIS STUFF

[quote="Slinky":2is4j5ty]
then go and hide behind your monitor elsewhere.
[/UNQUOTE]
touchÃÆ*€™*©

Sorry to the mods around here, but i have been waiting for this dick to re-appear....:cussing:
[/quote:2is4j5ty]

NOW THAT COULD BE CLASSED AS SLAGGING OFF
but as im obviously a more educated person than you who has actually resorted to the "slagging off "
sort of **** you can only expect from a chav!

Slinky

Premium
First Name
Perri
Just as a pickup on this line.
machinemeister said:
2 Im not a tattooist but i was a scratcher just like you
In your deleted posts, you actually said something in the region of.......
as i said in my removed post
i have been involved in this industry for years and know almost all the artists

What a load of crap!

Lucy Locket

Admin
First Name
Lucy
I'm not going to delete any members regarding this latest outburst, but these posts will be removed in 7 days.

BUT

Any more direct insults, or complete negativity without backing up with a correction to information posted, will result in posts or members being deleted with no warning.

RULES TO BE UPDATED.

First Name
spunky mcclean
Slinky said:
Just as a pickup on this line.

In your deleted posts, you actually said something in the region of.......
as i said in my removed post
i have been involved in this industry for years and know almost all the artists

What a load of crap!

yah your right it is crap
almost all of the artist was an exaggeration
im big enough to appologise for that

however i do personally know a hell of a lot of them

First Name
spunky mcclean
just to show ya that i hold no grudges
in a post previously by you you asked if there was any suppliers who would supply to a home tattooer

well heres some of the best
the online catalog isnt alot of cop but they actually sell really good stuff in their catalog
just get it sent to your house

Starr Tattoo Equipment

consistent and good stuff
Starline Tattoo Supples - Micky Bee Machines, Ink and Tattoo Packs - Starline Tattoo Supplies

a little on the expensive side
Tattoo Supplies

again on the expensive side
Global Tattoo Supplies, supplying professional tattoo supplies, tattoo equipment and piercing supplies throughout Europe and the UK. Including tattoo machines, tattoo ink, colour, Mario Barth's Intenze Ink Collection, tattoo equipment, grips & tips,

hes been doing this **** for years
Island Tattoo Supplies, Tattoo Supplies, Tatu Supplies, Extreme Inks, Extreme Inkz, Tatto Supplies, Tatoo Suplies, Tattoo Machines, Tattoo Equipment

some of the best premade needles on the market
Tattoo Machines, inks, grips, needles, tips, training and supplies

dannys a solid supplier machines are a little on the naff side but they do the job
Dannys Tattoo Supplies

and believe it or not
Micky Sharpz Supplies Ltd
will send to your house no questions asked

heres one for those in europe but karl will ship to the uk thru ebay or his agent
Premium Tattoo Supplies, tattoo equipment, Tattoo machines, K's premium Tattoo Colours, Premium Irons

could keep going but thats enough for now

First Name
spunky mcclean
steveo44 said:
Hi yes ive heard and read DONT go over 10vltsd as the machine blows may be wrong dont know its not happend to me as i tend not to go up there,As ive read other forums plus my own reading sometimes its to high for some machines....Hi always stay at 6.8 to 7.4 vlts..Pluse i dont build them just saying wat ive seen ect might be wrong soz if it is..

a machine doesnt blow its the CAPACITOR that tends to blow not the coils not the springs
however a capacitor SHOULD be rated voltage wise than twice the voltage to be safe
this is why they are usually rated at between 16 and 22 volts

SOME of the reasons why a machine overheat are
1 incorrect tuning
2 too much spring tension
3 and yes too much voltage but this is not strictly because you are running over 10 volts
it COULD be as much as 7 volts that start the over heating

4 incorrect materials used in the make up of the machine
5 no yolke on a NON ferrous frame
6 using stainless steel bolts to hold the coils down

most of these items are attributed to chinese machines so if you are running chinese rigs check for any of these

j3rz3y1

Premium
Media
First Name
Frank
Woooooooooooo Nelly

All i did was give a little advice an a little knowlege i have read somewhere or was told by an artist . I never thought i would start a war guys . I don't understand your slang words or curse words as im from the states but from the censor ship ive seen its there . Thats not fair to me for just trying to give a little advice do you think. Also I read some nice stuff an some not so nice stuff about Hildbrandt tattoo machines check them out they have a small site with some realy nice info there . OK thats HILDBRANDT tattoo equiment .

First Name
spunky mcclean
im not getting at you dude

just pointing out that you shouldn't believe everything you hear or read some people will steer you wrong for the fun of it

j3rz3y1

Premium
Media
First Name
Frank
machine wire wraps

Why are the wraps set like they are like a 10 wrap for shading an an 8 wrap for lining ? Here in this country it seems like our settings are oppisite then in your country. Weird huh ?

j3rz3y1

Premium
Media
First Name
Frank
Machine for Amyjane

Well heres a start HILDBRANDT tattoo equipment .com or go to worldwide tattoo supply.com but like what they said , a machine is what you make it .

Rondog

Premium
First Name
Ronnie
Battlemedic

I was lead to believe that it didnt matter about how many wraps the coils had be it 8,10,12 i was lead to believe that they would all be capable of both lining and shading and it was just down to pesonal prefrence. but i do believe that the current would be quicker running though a 8 wrap than a 10 or 12. and also told that the more wraps on the coils the smoother the machine would run, but dont know if this is true or not can anyone shed any light on this please

Cheers
Ron

First Name
spunky mcclean
battlemedic said:
Why are the wraps set like they are like a 10 wrap for shading an an 8 wrap for lining ? Here in this country it seems like our settings are oppisite then in your country. Weird huh ?
nah its the same all over .
a proper set of 8s will do anytihng a set of 10s can do

Battlemedic

I was lead to believe that it didnt matter about how many wraps the coils had be it 8,10,12 i was lead to believe that they would all be capable of both lining and shading and it was just down to pesonal prefrence. but i do believe that the current would be quicker running though a 8 wrap than a 10 or 12. and also told that the more wraps on the coils the smoother the machine would run, but dont know if this is true or not can anyone shed any light on this please

Cheers
Ron [/UNQUOTE]

you want to study ohms law its one of the most important things to a machine

Well heres a start HILDBRANDT tattoo equipment .com or go to worldwide tattoo supply.com but like what they said , a machine is what you make it .[/UNQUOTE]

i refer you to the bit i typed about chinese machines and the make up

and....

take a cheap machine and strip the coils
heres what you usually find
1 thin cheap wire
2 crappy turns
3 some even join the wire
4 a plastic bobbin
5 some manufacturers will put an 8 layer with a 6 or 10 layer coil (layer is the correct term a wrap is 1 turn around the coil core) this creates an unbalance in the coils they should be matched by ohms.

i advise you all to download and read the pdf files at
Tattoo Supplies, Tattoo Equipment - Eikon Device Inc.

and the technical parts at
Tattoo machines and tattoo supplies from Time Machine Tattoo Supplies
(danny also has a video on machine setup and maintenance available at a cost thru either download or dvd)

Rondog

Premium
First Name
Ronnie
Those links you put up about machines is really intresting and i see what you mean about the ohms thing and those time machines are the dogs danglys the fusion especially it takes all the work out of setting up very very intresting thanks

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
On youtube there was a video and they tested coils from different machines with a multi metre and the coils on the machines from the kits from china only worked out about 6 raps of copper wire, so no wonder the cheaper machines over heat, the more expensive machines will handle 10volts all day long but you rarely have to run them at that, if they are tuned write, lets face it you probably wont run a liner at the same volt as a colour packer, the springs are different, the liner may have less raps on it and so on, all machines are different, so if they sound right then they are right, without looking at you volt meter.

Regards
Tony

Kaz

Karen
Premium
First Name
Karen
Tattoo shop kit

Ok so I have bought a kit from one of those online stores. I'm happy enough with it, there's a liner and a shader and everything to get going with... What worries me is this.. How do I know if the machines are good enough... I have read a machine can be what you make it but as I don't have that experience I worry that I may learn on wrong equipment. I wouldn't normally be too concerned at this early stage in my practice but Although I see some improvement in my line work on practice skins, I do not seem to be able to draw lines I'm happy with... Even though I feel confident using the machine ( so not nerves lol) can the machine be A) rubbish B) set up wrong and have too much play so the needle moves to much.

maggot

Premium
Media
First Name
colin
hello karen like you i bought a kit and i also wasnt happy so i just kept playing around with them until i was download the tuning guide and go from there while putting lines into your practice skin until the machine matches the speed your tattooing at but ive only had my kit about six weeks so i maybe completely wrong

skinpix

Premium
Media
First Name
Mark
Ok so I have bought a kit from one of those online stores. I'm happy enough with it, there's a liner and a shader and everything to get going with... What worries me is this.. How do I know if the machines are good enough... I have read a machine can be what you make it but as I don't have that experience I worry that I may learn on wrong equipment. I wouldn't normally be too concerned at this early stage in my practice but Although I see some improvement in my line work on practice skins, I do not seem to be able to draw lines I'm happy with... Even though I feel confident using the machine ( so not nerves lol) can the machine be A) rubbish B) set up wrong and have too much play so the needle moves to much.
Hi Karen,
Firstly,download the tuning guide....make sure the machines are set up ok.....
What prob's with lining are you having ??? if you have movement at the needle tip.....A)make sure you have the correct tip fitted...B)make sure the elastic bands are tight...C)make sure the needle bar is fitted properly to the grommet(no movement) if your lines are scratchy looking & thin...SLOW DOWN !!! run the liner at around 7-8 volts & do the line quite slowly.:thumbsup:

WilD

Premium
First Name
Dawn
Hi Karen, listen to Mark here, he has given me lots of good advice over the past few months, and all of what he's said has helped me. re the machines themselves, I wouldn't worry too much yet, they're prob fine to learn with and as you progress you'll just know if they are up to the job! I was lucky with my kit, and got 2 decent machines. I recently bought another but tbh it's not as good as my first two! Some of the guys have several - so just see how you go!:thumbsup:

RTats

RTats
Premium
First Name
Rob
I dont know what is right or wrong but do know my own journey.

I bought a cheap kit from a UK online shop so I had something to work through the learning vids and books with. The kit came with two machines (liner and shader), power supply, some ink, needles and some practise skin. I used it for practising on fruit and synthetic skin. Basically I tried different speeds, setups, pulled it apart, put it back together again.

From the outset the purpose of the kit was to learn with and break - so it wasnt a cheap ebay one but wasnt an expensive kit either.

My feelings were that I couldnt learn properly using absolute cr_p but that I didnt feel right about using a machine on dead pigs, grapefruits, rubber skin that I would use on real living people. Nothing wrong with it, it was just a weird personal hang up I had.

I found the only time I could practise was after putting my 2 year old son to sleep so I switched to the more silent running rotary - Black Cat from Powerline. I LOVE THIS MACHINE. In fact I now have 4 of this type. 2 x Black Cat and 2 x Stealth. I run these between 5.5 and 6.5 and sometimes 7 (but very rare) for 11 mags.

In fact I dont use anything from the original kit any more except the pedal and clip cords. I still use the original inks for practising new stuff on synthetic skin because I dont find I get on with them on real skin.

What I am finding more than anything is that you learn to setup your machine to your style, the needle groupings you prefer, the inks you prefer, the skin of the person, the tattoo you are doing, even the way you are feeling on the day. Providing the setup is safe there is a lot of other personnal tweaking that goes on. So any machine, by any company, can be a good machine for you.

Final Disclaimer - these are the words of amateur self taught tattooist.

Kaz

Karen
Premium
First Name
Karen
Thanks everyone. I had trouble downloading the manual but happily have it now so I will start studying that asap. Ther'es every possibility that I am just in need of more practice lol. I only picked up a machine last week! I just see the lines and whilst I'm pleased I feel they are not perfect and I didn't seen to be able to improve on them. I can start a line, curve ect, I can join up lines ok too. But I also see a jaggedness ( is that a word?!) to some lines that annoys me. I feel the needle sits tightly and I seem to create better lines with a thicker needle too. I have yet to do any shading as I prefer to get a grip on the outlining first. My kit came from Tattooshop2 and was around *£80.Both machines are duel shaders and liners apparently! I'm not unhappy with it although I see kits on that site for *£350... so I guess it's bound to be not top notch lol. But I feel more happier now to continue practicing with it. Thanks guys.:thumbsup: