When you sell a design, do you sell it once or unlimited?

Bapho

Basic
First Name
Dags
I've been selling solo designs (not on flash sheets) only once, then gone forever. I just assumed that's how it goes, keeping the integrity of the art piece. Is that a normal thing to do? Ive been in 3 shops in 2 years but i feel like thats too noob of a question to ask anyone lol Let me know what you do! Thanks in advance.

(I'm hoping it's acceptable to reproduce because $$$, but then it bothers me as an artist at the same time 🤔)

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
Hello and welcome to the forum Dags 😊👍🏼 I would first of all not do same motif several times unless telling my client that. And I would still alter it a little. I actually have a motif that I worked on a long time and I would want to do it on several clients. I have a person who it's interested in it, and I told her I want use it more than once. That was no problem to her.

Of course it would've been a problem if she said no? Would I have chosen to reproduce it, or would I have chosen her as a client? 🤔 Not sure to be honest 😃

TexasPT

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
I wouldn't sell it twice...that's kind of crappy if someone thinks they are getting a one off from you. If you sell the original...but have prints available, that's different. A lot of artists will make 10-15 prints of their piece and make them available cheaper, then sell the original for a higher price.

Reactions: DKJ

DKJ

Premium
Media
First Name
Mathieu
thetattooyoyo
I've been selling solo designs (not on flash sheets) only once, then gone forever. I just assumed that's how it goes, keeping the integrity of the art piece. Is that a normal thing to do? Ive been in 3 shops in 2 years but i feel like thats too noob of a question to ask anyone lol Let me know what you do! Thanks in advance.

(I'm hoping it's acceptable to reproduce because $$$, but then it bothers me as an artist at the same time 🤔)
Don't think about the money for one design and spend some time on another design.

That's two proposals, more clients, more diversity, more practice, and you can absolutly create multiple designs in your style, meaning quite close in subjects or themes.

I think people like to have unique tattoos, here in France flashs are meants to be one time only.

Peace,

DKJ