Which Kit

Ant465

Premium
First Name
Anthony
I'm looking to buy my first set of tattoo equipment and looking for some advice.

I've been looking at the new kits on eBay, both from UK sppliers/companies and China, there are some big differences in prices. I have always been a great believer in you get what you pay for, and cheapest is not the best!

I would rather pay a little more for good quality equipments and inks that will last and has the capability of producing good quality tattoos, even if the operator can't :icon_mrgreen:. There are quite a few UK suppliers selling on eBay and I'm tempted in that direction, rather than to purchase from China. I'm also a bit dubious about some from the UK advertising on eBay who make out their kits are the best, then you notice all the spelling mistakes in their listings, its a bit off putting. I've have been looking at the kits from Tattoo Shop both on eBay and on their web site, has anyone had any dealing with them or their kit, is the kit they sell good quality?

Looking at all the kits that are for sale the contents never quite seem to tick all the boxes with what is required, so is it best to buy the equipment separately so you get exactly what you want?

Any advice would be very welcome before I part with my hard earnt cash :icon_wink:

Remove Ads

Patrick

Premium Gold
Media
First Name
Patrick
Hi Anthony

I bought my first kit from Killer Ink who will happily supply you even though you may not be registered. The kit cost me approx *£140 and contained everything I needed to get started. I still use the machines now even though I have since bought several more. There are several suppliers who sell decent kits so it's up to you, but I based on my experience I would recommend Killer Ink. Depending on your budget you might want to buy things separately, this way you can gradually build up your kit with good quality machines etc. If you do it this way look at Supertatz website via the link on this page and she has some great machines for sale I have been using the esil machines for about 6 months and they are very good and very cheap. I have paid over *£200 for a liner and shader but these machines are better at a fraction of the cost. I now use Eternal ink which is really good and far better than you get in most kits. The Tattoo shop did have a special deal on inks so worth checking out. Have a good look through he various suppliers websites and see what offers they have and if you need any advice on any particular brand etc just ask on the forum because somebody will probably have information / experience on whatever you need to know. I hope this has helped a little and good luck.:icon_smile:

Chops

Premium
First Name
Steve
If you're buying off eBay then I'd recommend you try and get the lowest price you can for the kit with everything you need. Higher prices won't necisserally mean better quality. If you plan on tattooing people then be sure to get a kit with disposable tubes!

khosmy

Premium
Media
First Name
Edgar Valerio
I don't advice anyone to buy kits, there is barely any worth it around, most of people that buy kits, sooner or later regret it, the machines don't last that much, or the needles suck, the inks that generally come with those kits suck (most of times, Scream, wich is a cheap crap ink, get some proper ink...), really, and sometimes the things that bring aren't that worthy, 1 pair of gloves (really?), practice skins (they suck! get pig skin, it's cheaper), 10 of this, 10 of that (needles and tubes), you will need more than those or you will be restocking in no time, besides, sometimes they are really low quality.

Besides kits from hildbrand (if that is how you write it) i don't think i heard about many more that were worth it.

Do your research, if you are serius about tattooing, than get proper material, and not material you will be replacing in short term. Check all websites for the supplies, do your mats, check some machine builders like Glyn Flew or Tony Bennet (great machines for less than 100£ each), or just go for a stealth rotary, in the end you will see that for the price of a kit, you will have more reliable material, and only the things you need, not stuff you wont be using, like flash books... you can get Gigabytes of flash all over the internet, if you have a printer... you are done.

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
I bought a cheap kit from tattooshop2, and to be fair I don't regret it. It served a purpose as I didn't want to spend a fortune to then find out it wasn't for me. Saying that, once I was happy, I found myself restocking pretty quick.
The shader was shite and very tempromental so I bought a Stealth rotary which i've only used a couple of times so far and love. The liner, nothing special, but works and is ok for practicing with.
I personally don't see the point of laying out loadsa *£ unless you really know you are going to like it etc.
The inks (Scream) aren't great but seem ok if all you're going to be tattooing is pig and synthetic skins for the time being. The practice skin you get is dogshit although ok just to get the feel of your kit and practice some line work but you'll soon chuck it.
The power supply seems a little weak as again it's just cheap, but does work!
I think the kits fine and just build up on your equipment as you start to run low on things, and upgrade you're machines when you know you're hooked and really passionate about sticking with it.
In summary: I wouldn't tattoo anyone with this kit, but as I say, if you're just starting you shouldn't really be doing that anyway!

X DEBS X

Basic
First Name
Debbie
I agree with most things said. I bought a kit in the beginning but quickly realised it was absolute shite so i bought everything new and sold all the cheap stuff on ebay. If you were to buy a kit, you might aswell buy a very cheap one because they are all the same chinese rubbish. They are handy that you dont have to fuss getting everything seperate but thats about it.:icon_mrgreen:

Tarantula

Premium
First Name
Jais
Take your time, buy some decent gear. If you buy a kit you will just end up replacing it with better stuff sooner or later. Some people will tell you that their cheap ass machines they got in their kit still run well etc but thats because they're used to using shit machines, a decent, well made machine feels and sounds like a totally different beast and makes a massive difference.

toetoe62

Premium Plus
First Name
Tony
If you look on ebay you can buy the same machines that they sell you in the kits for as little as *£6 each, and they are not worth that, if you see a machine that you like, just ask on here to see if it is any good or not, you can do the same with everything else you need.

Ant465

Premium
First Name
Anthony
Thanks for all the replies, very interesting, and possibly from what has been posted I'm right to be cautious and do some more research before I go spending any cash.

Interesting that the stealth rotary machine was mentioned, I've never been tattooed by a rotary machine but the new generation or rotaries seem to be very popular. I was thinking of trying both to see what difference there maybe in the results. From start probably i'll probably be very poor with both without practice :icon_lol:

I'm surprised that the practice skin doesn't get much of a thumbs up, might be a silly question but are they one use only?

I took a look at the machines supertatz have (and were mentioned in one of the posts) and they seem quite cheap and sound good quality, so might be worth a punt.

Well, back to do some more research and pricing up, Please keep the replies coming all info is happily received, thanks all.

Tarantula

Premium
First Name
Jais
The cheap ass thin practice skins are great for starting as they're really thin and you soon learn that if you dont want an engraved table you need to control your needle depth. Pig skin is a much better all round practice medium as you can learn your stretching techniques on it and it takes ink a lot better than the plastic ones do (in my opinion).
The stealth rotary is ok, I use mine sometimes but coil machines (again, in my opinion) are way better as you can tune and customise them to suit a specific job, if they ever get the rotary machines to bog down then my opinion might change, but for now coils are better if you know how to tune them.

flashhighland

Premium
Media
First Name
Steve
The thin synthetic skins that come with the skins can't be cleaned and are total crap. If you buy the more expensive skins with the slots in for the velcro straps, they're thicker and wipe clean a whole lot easier, but you have to go over your lines a fair few times. I've just got into the pig skin and it's a shed load cheaper and takes the ink very well, it's the nearest thing to real skin you'll get to.
It's right whats been said about the machines, they are shit and cheap.
If you have a look in 'piggy practice' I just did a traditional ship last night, it's by no means perfect, but came out ok. That was done with a shit chinese kit with the shit 'scorpion' liner with the shit 'Scream' inks and then I used the Stealth rotary to colour. I was happy(ish with the results). No doubt it would of been better with a better liner and I intend to buy one within the next week or so. The shitty Scorpion liner does vibrate quite a bit that starts to effect your work if you're doing a lot of line work.
So, I mainly agree with most comments, if you enjoy tattooing, you will definately need and want to buy much better kit and very soon after buying a cheap kit. But if you've never done it, do you really want to splash out loads of wonga buying all the kit just to find out it's not for you? Of course this is just my opinion!