White ink issues (please help!)

Malodeix

Premium
1 Nov 2020
Cork
First Name
Alex
Has anybody here ever experienced problems with the healing and settling of white ink?

I got a fairly big black and grey piece with some white highlights on my knee/leg last September, and it’s still causing problems. It was a rough heal - it was super red, hot, and swollen initially but settled down in the next couple days. It took a probably twice as long to ”heal” than normal, and I was being careful and wearing loose clothing/shorts when possible. I never experienced this with any of my other tattoos, which are all black only. Even a few months later I’ve noticed that it often gets red and warm for seemingly no reason, and today I’ve noticed the white is changing and looks a bit red! other bits of white have a yellow tinge, and is slightly raised. It’s very frustrating because I didn’t want white in the design, but my artist just went ahead and did it without asking. On top of that I wasn’t thrilled about the outcome, so I’m really regretting this one :’(

Studios are still closed where I live otherwise I would go ASAP to get a professional‘s opinion in person. What do you guys think? I am afraid my body is reacting badly to the ink and is trying to reject it.

0E60E5FB-0EA9-4E6F-9EB8-2253A7268F66.jpeg BDB34161-5F35-4210-AC10-ED112AD80890.jpeg

TexasPT

Premium Gold
9 Dec 2011
Media
Texas
First Name
Mark
@marknovak5572
happens with white...artists tend to pack it very aggressively because you can't tell it's gone in. I had a spot like that scab one for nearly a year...then it settled in. you've got a nice looking tattoo and white is doing what white does...I tend to not use it much.

MalligaMallan

Premium Gold
17 Dec 2014
Media
Stockholm
First Name
Malin
@tattoo.morth.art
I was thinking exactly the same as Mark - that it could be overworked, which happens easily with white.

I try to avoid white too (just as Mark) after having tried it several times and getting disappointed with the result every time. It tends to get yellowish (naturally - beige skin over white - what else can you expect? 😏).

HOWEVER - I recently tried to hand poke white over an old tattoo on myself to cover it. Not because I was disappointed with it, but as an experiment. It's not finished yet, i will post photos when it is.

But white over black, especially when hand poked, seems to work great.

Sorry for this long post that ended up not having much to do with your post 😏

I think your tattoo looks really nice and well performed technically, apart from the white. Sorry to hear you're not happy with it! 🍃

Malodeix

Premium
1 Nov 2020
Cork
First Name
Alex
happens with white...artists tend to pack it very aggressively because you can't tell it's gone in. I had a spot like that scab one for nearly a year...then it settled in. you've got a nice looking tattoo and white is doing what white does...I tend to not use it much.
It definitely felt a bit overworked, it was much more painful the rest of my stuff - I was limping home . I’ll keep it lightly moisturised and hope for the best, hopefully it will settle like you said. Thanks!

Remove Ads

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.