MadameA23

Premium
4 Apr 2019
united kingdom
First Name
Anna
So I have a task to design a wrap around design for a bicep. A forest image. I've never designed one that has to wrap all the way around and meet at the other side. I'm concerned about measuring up and how to draw this out to scale. Or should I draw smaller then enlarge it on PC? How do you even measure an arm shape to prepare for the design that will go all the way around? Not sure if I am wording this right Haha.

Chopper20

Premium Gold
10 Jun 2019
Eastleigh
First Name
Andy
I’m also interested to know this. Particularly how to get the stencil to line up.

You could measure the bicep with a piece of string?

Jerry7297

Premium Gold
27 Feb 2017
Media
Texas
First Name
Jerry
Ideally you would use a soft tape measure, one like a tailor would use to measure you for a suit. Make a mark on the outside of the arm and go around. Do this at the top and bottom of where the design is going as they may be different circumferences/ measurements. I would design the outer part of the arm and then on another Layer on digital or another tracing paper start the Inside of the arms design. Then you have 2 separate stencils. You can always break them down into more stencils as needed. Most likely you are not doing it all at once anyways. Does this make sense?

Chopper20

Premium Gold
10 Jun 2019
Eastleigh
First Name
Andy
Ideally you would use a soft tape measure, one like a tailor would use to measure you for a suit. Make a mark on the outside of the arm and go around. Do this at the top and bottom of where the design is going as they may be different circumferences/ measurements. I would design the outer part of the arm and then on another Layer on digital or another tracing paper start the Inside of the arms design. Then you have 2 separate stencils. You can always break them down into more stencils as needed. Most likely you are not doing it all at once anyways. Does this make sense?
Yes that makes sense thanks. The design I’ve been asked to do is polynesian.

So if there are continuous patterns to wrap around would you still do this on 2 stencils and over a couple of sessions?

Any tricks to get this to line up or is it just practice?

Cheers.

fylfot

Premium Plus
9 Jun 2012
England
First Name
david
i find with poly it's best to use a stencil to get on your basic nice shapes, then sharpie in the gaps to make it all fit together. If you try and wrap a flat stencil round an arm nothing lines up. I think artists who regularly do poly, freehand it on cos they have a stash of mental patterns within their memory to easily trasfer to the skin, where as us novices would spend 3hrs drawing it on and it'd be time for the client to leave before we even pick up a machine.

MadameA23

Premium
4 Apr 2019
united kingdom
First Name
Anna
Yes that makes sense thanks. The design I’ve been asked to do is polynesian.

So if there are continuous patterns to wrap around would you still do this on 2 stencils and over a couple of sessions?

Any tricks to get this to line up or is it just practice?

Cheers.

I dont envy you having a pattern to work out.....haha

MadameA23

Premium
4 Apr 2019
united kingdom
First Name
Anna
Oh great idea smaller stencils to break it down... I'd be scared of it not meeting but I guess that's what the second copy is for? To lay out the whole thing as a preview?

Chopper20

Premium Gold
10 Jun 2019
Eastleigh
First Name
Andy
i find with poly it's best to use a stencil to get on your basic nice shapes, then sharpie in the gaps to make it all fit together. If you try and wrap a flat stencil round an arm nothing lines up. I think artists who regularly do poly, freehand it on cos they have a stash of mental patterns within their memory to easily trasfer to the skin, where as us novices would spend 3hrs drawing it on and it'd be time for the client to leave before we even pick up a machine.
This may be a silly question but I did wonder....when tattooing over sharpie ink, assuming the ink will be pushed into the skin, are there any considerations with the ink not being designed for this? I’d like to use sharpies to straighten up stencils but have always been unsure whether I’d be causing harm potentially?

MadameA23

Premium
4 Apr 2019
united kingdom
First Name
Anna
This may be a silly question but I did wonder....when tattooing over sharpie ink, assuming the ink will be pushed into the skin, are there any considerations with the ink not being designed for this? I’d like to use sharpies to straighten up stencils but have always been unsure whether I’d be causing harm potentially?
I thought that in the past so I just use a surgical marker. Just incase.

Dazza

Premium Gold
25 Jul 2016
Media
Perth
First Name
Daryl
If you look at a lot of bands around the biceps,hardly ever go all the way around and meet up ,I always wounderd why ,before I stated tattooing,but now it all makes sense

Chopper20

Premium Gold
10 Jun 2019
Eastleigh
First Name
Andy
If you look at a lot of bands around the biceps,hardly ever go all the way around and meet up ,I always wounderd why ,before I stated tattooing,but now it all makes sense
Is that because it’s hard to join up?
I did wonder about putting a more vertical element in the design where the join is? Maybe I’m being naive ?

Remove Ads

JP

Premium Plus
30 Apr 2014
Media
Dubai
First Name
James
I did a full forearm forest design, and the way i did it was to create separate stencils for all the bigger trees, then from the narrowest point draw straight lines going up the arm (using yellow or light green pen) and lay your trees in line with these, then fill the small tree by hand with pen...it's almost impossible to stencil a full wraparound with a single stencil

Chopper20

Premium Gold
10 Jun 2019
Eastleigh
First Name
Andy
I did a full forearm forest design, and the way i did it was to create separate stencils for all the bigger trees, then from the narrowest point draw straight lines going up the arm (using yellow or light green pen) and lay your trees in line with these, then fill the small tree by hand with pen...it's almost impossible to stencil a full wraparound with a single stencil
That sounds like a good shout for that kind of design cheers. I’ll keep that in mind.

Reactions: JP

fylfot

Premium Plus
9 Jun 2012
England
First Name
david
i too did wonder but had seen it used so much on miami ink/ ink master etc, i assumed if there was any adverse reaction it would've come to peoples attention and not be used? I have the surgical markers but the skin has to be nice and dry for them to go on nice and they rub off too easily once you start tattooing.

MadameA23

Premium
4 Apr 2019
united kingdom
First Name
Anna

Brilliant idea thanks so much ?

Reactions: JP

Chopper20

Premium Gold
10 Jun 2019
Eastleigh
First Name
Andy
i too did wonder but had seen it used so much on miami ink/ ink master etc, i assumed if there was any adverse reaction it would've come to peoples attention and not be used? I have the surgical markers but the skin has to be nice and dry for them to go on nice and they rub off too easily once you start tattooing.
Yeah I’ve had it done on myself as well and it was fine. Like you say, I guess they’re so widely used it would soon get around the community if it was a problem.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.