volts for lining (rotary)

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
so let me get this right ..if i lower my speed (volts) the machine will still have the same punch?

MalligaMallan

Donator  
Premium
First Name
Malin
This is where I finally got it straight a couple of years ago
Jono is real good at explaining. He's got a lot of interesting videos.

First Name
Jay
so let me get this right ..if i lower my speed (volts) the machine will still have the same punch?
You can't modify the stroke on a rotary without changing cam. There is nothing to make it go softer, unless you have a rotary with a way to set give. So yes, the machine's punch/hit is the same, the frequency not (dotwork :) ).

Usually you have to set a minimum voltage to make it run. From that point on, the motor will produce the same punch. At least, in my experience with cheyennes.

dirtnail

Donator  
Premium
First Name
Pieter
Far as I understand the hit, for a basic direct drive rotary, will indeed be the same for all voltages since it is derived from the distance the needle travels... so punch depends on the cam size you use. Some machines let you tweak the distance, others have the ability to add give to manipulate the punch. But for rotaries volts only controls speed and is unrelated to punch. At least that's what I understand.

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
ahhh things make sense now.. yeah i can alter the punch on my machine.the stigma hyper v3 is a shader too..i back a screw off on top of the machine

marked 4 life

Donator  
Premium
First Name
Andy
Increasing the volts on a rotary machine increases the speed of the motor, on a coil machine it increases the magnetic pull of the coils so it pulls the armature bar down with more force thus increasing the intensity or “hardness” of the hit.

ribul

Premium
First Name
richard
thanks for your help guys..im still struggling to put a good line down first pass..im having to run the line twice..malin pointed something out to me..on the practice skin you have to go a little deeper than you would do on real human skin so i need to try that..iv played about with the volts and sticking at 8v for now..that voltage seems to work for me best so far..

after a bit of digging i found the following info..turns out my machine is more complex than i realised

Attachments

Last edited: